Originally Posted By: escapetipDOTcom
still forgets his belt and has to be rescued.
of course that happens. I've heard of airline pilots forgetting how their seat-belts work, too. I don't think you are any more likely to forget if you open the window first.

Quote:
A 2006 study by the University of Winnipeg
It sounds like they didn't compare POGO with SOS-GO. From what you say, the problems were not with SOS-GO, but with other factors.

Quote:
Their argument is that water coming into the cabin will toss you around the vehicle.
The argument made in this thread is that the window will become unopenable if you leave it too late.

Quote:
Many people still talk about the need to equalize pressure by letting the vehicle fill as a way making the door easy to open.
Yes, I think it's accepted that that's a bad idea. Actually I think it's a misunderstood idea. It's really saying, if you can't open the doors/windows immediately, don't give up, because there will be another chance later. It shouldn't be taken as saying, if you can't open the doors/windows, there's no need to break the glass.

Quote:
I’m ready to hear any and all opinions.

I suspect in most cases, both actions can be completed quickly enough that the order doesn't matter. The windows on my car are automatic - press a button, release, and while they are sliding down on their own I can be taking the seat belt off.

If the electric windows don't work and you have to smash them, then it's a different kettle of fish. You'll need to find something to break them with, and that will probably be easier with the belt off. Or you might need to try a different window.