I have been considering building a 'survival pc'. Something I can stack tons and tons of data on (maps, survival information, general knowledge, etc) kind of like a portable post-TEOWAWKI library of congress. It'd be invaluable but you'd have to consider the important aspects of a device like that... like for one:

1) It would have to be rugged
2) It would need to have ultra-low power consumption
3) It would have to have adequate storage space
4) it would need to be easily repaired.
5) It would preferably be light.
6) It would need to be stored in a faraday cage-style container that is waterproof, shockproof, etc.

So I'm kind of in a tossup between buying a ruggedized PC or building my own. I like the idea of using a hand-dynamo or bike dynamo for power too.

I'll make sure I add this EEE pc to my list of potentials for my little 'project' smile

I also like this guy:

The Everex StepNote NC1501 - it's got a 12w power usage.. 12w! Figure throw in a ruggedized hard disk like the MHW2040AC and it should be reasonably capable. You could attach a little hand crank on it and everything. Best of all it'd run you under 500 bux for the whole DIY shebang. Oh well. I'm rambling but you get the idea.
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx