I would ask for cold weather gear to be provided, in that they will pay for it. It's been my experience, though I certainly can't speak for any majority of Canadian companies, that any special clothing etc. you need *for the job* is provided or paid for. Definitely make sure of this. It's not like it would be a huge cost, but might as well get what you can, it's not at all an unreasonable request IMO in Canadian terms.

One of the best things about Alberta is beer is cheaper there than anywhere else in Canada. It may be priced more where you are up north, but still, it won't be too bad. As an example, my regular brews are Heineken and Becks in 500ml. They were under $1.50 each last time I was out that way, sometimes on sale for $1. So let's say ~50-60p for that type of imported. British beer tends to cost more, way too many types for me to guess what you drink...

If you've seen Calgary, you've seen the best part of civilised Alberta IMO. I'm from Edmonton BTW...it's got its aspects, but Calgary is nicer.