A lot of Mormons have been storing up 1-5 years of emergency food supplies for generations and have a Emergency Preparedness Manuel that has good recommendations.

For storing dry grains like wheat and rice as well as dried beans, peas, etc., give some thought to using home canning jars and a jar adapter for a vacuum sealer. I know the FoodSaver home vacuume sealer has one. Vacuumed sealed dry grains and such should outlast you by several generations eliminating the need for rotation on some items. (I'm sure most people here have heard of 2,000 year old seeds and grains found in Egyptian tombs germinating.)

An advantage to using glass canning jars for storage is that they are reusable, (you just need a supply of new lids, inexpensive and easily stored, and a few other canning supplies) in case things go long term and you need to home preserve food from a garden or other sources.

Doing a little home canning now is also a money saver, healthier and allows you to take advantage of low seasonal prices for bulk fresh veggies and meat at local farmers markets and discount places like Sam's Club or Costco. Plus you can preserve preprepared meals that you know your kidlings will eat.

There is lots of good literature available on home preservation of food and I find it an enjoyable hobby as well as an essential survival skill. Your mileage may vary.

Edited to add: A link to Freshpreserving.com , one source for canning supplies and info.

Another link, National Center for Home Food Preservation that's pretty comprehensive.

Edited by Spiritwalker (08/05/07 02:49 PM)