I've seen several posts over the months that either mention or encourage the use of dual-mode (both digital and analog) mobile phones because the analog signal is much more prevalent in the backcountry. However, this idea may not hold much merit in a few months.

If you have not noticed, it is very difficult to purchase a new-model mobile phone that includes analog reception. They are all digital-only. There is a reason for this.

The analog protocol that mobile phones use is called Advanced Mobile Phone System (AMPS) and works on the 800 MHz "cellular" frequency band. Back in 2002, the FCC decided to no longer require carriers to provide AMPS service as of February 18, 2008. [citation] It looks as if some providers will completely shut analog service down as of the "analog sunset" date, while others will phase analog out by progressively replacing analog equipment with digital. I have listed links to some information from companies and services below:

I could not find information from Alltel, AT&T (Cingular), Sprint, T-Mobile, or U.S. Cellular. If you have any questions about your own mobile communications service (whether it be mobile phones, security systems, or any other communication-based service), I encourage you to call your service and get more details. I especially encourage those of you who rely heavily on analog cellular communications to plan for the future!

P.S.: On a related note, remember to replace your TVs or get digital converter boxes for them before the [current] "analog TV sunset" date of February 17, 2009, unless that date gets postponed again for the fourth or fifth time. laugh

Edited by JCWohlschlag (08/05/07 01:26 AM)
Edit Reason: Added the TV portion.