I update my BOB very often and think it is a great concept for preparedness. It is enjoyable to keep up with and there is a great deal of security derived from having one.

However, I remember reading once upon a time, how folks who have to maintain a low profile, IF you know what I mean, would make up a very simple BOB containing only the items a person might need when "on the lam."

These items would be all the cash that can be crammed into a small shoulder bag. In fact, the bag was sort of the person's bank account, too. Over time, all available money & any other light weight valuables are kept in the BOB so that all that kind of thing is in one place if TSHTF.

Added to the valuables and cash are a complete change of clothes complete with belt and extra underwear and socks with a zippered wind breaker type of light jacket of the reverseable kind with a solid color on either side. A light weight pullover sweater or long sleeve sweatshirt gives layering ability if it turns cold. The idea being to change appearances as simply as possible from time to time.

To complete the bug out bag would be something like a snub nose .38 special with the hammer ground down flush so it would not snag on a pocket and an extra box of bullets, for protection in bad places but easy to ditch if cornered by the law enforcement.

The rest of the kit would include a small pocket compass, wrist watch, sunglasses, pair of sneakers and socks, baseball cap & knit cap, shaving kit (with pocket comb, razor, shave cream, soap, toothbrush and toothpast) pocket knife, lighter, pack(s) of smokes, chewing gum, candy bars, flashlight, small first aid kit, city and state maps, and maybe a couple of magazines.

This BOB is kept under the bed or anywhere close, so that when the need to scram happens one can scram! Time could literally be so short it could be only a matter of grabbing the BOB and jumping out of a window. There may not be time to even put on shoes or strap on a wrist watch and that is why such things are in the bag.

With the need to travel light and at great speed but unnoticed as the main stategies this is a smart outfit to have together. Some say as little as changing into different colored jackets and sweaters along with each look being a ball cap or a knit cap or bareheaded, it might be possible to be nondescipt in public travel, like on a bus or in a taxi. The magazines are to hold over the face at various times as if reading but really chiefly to obscur the face in bus terminals, etc. Cigarette and chewing gum use looks common and so, reasuring to most.

Any of the items in the bag can be ditched one after another or all at once should the need arise. In fact switching to a paper sack or other kind of bag might be wise as the need to change looks and configuration of appearance arises.