Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
To be fair, there are many instances where a simple homing beacon might be appropriate and far better than nothing at all. It may well be a useful tool for the right circumstances and persons.

However, also to be fair, don't current (actual) PLBs come with a homing beacon? Isn't that what the 121.5 MHz portion of their signal is supposed to be? It allows Search and Rescue personnel to home in on the distressed person(s) location using equipment they already have, as opposed to using separate, proprietary, and probably expensive direction finding equipment.

Certainly not trying to butt heads with you, but I don't feel like there's any obligation to "be fair" to TracMe. Their product is hokey at best, and could cost people their lives. If an FRS homing beacon were feasible and practical, I would think that it would be built into FRS radios.

Granted, I understand your point that it could prove useful in certain circumstances. However, those circumstances are outside official Search and Rescue operations in my opinion. Unfortunately, that is not the demographic that TracMe seems to be marketing to.
Quote:
From http://www.tracme.com/:
TracMe is the first, truly affordable PLB that will assist search and rescue units in locating and providing assistance in the shortest possible time.

Edited by JCWohlschlag (08/03/07 04:24 PM)
Edit Reason: Addition