I've had both. The accuracy of the AR7 was spotty at best. It also ended up with a problem where the sear would occasionally slip and it would pop off 2 or 3 rounds with one pull. It first happened after maybe 200 rounds through it. A bit of a safety issue to say the least. To be fair, it was a charter arms, so maybe Henry has better quality control.

I like the papoose. Accuracy is decent; it feels much better and more comfortable, so that helps with accuracy also. The barrel nut is much better, good heavy-duty stainless steel compared to aluminum on the AR7, so that undoubtably helps with accuracy also.

One thing that I don't like about most of the Marlins and other assorted .22s is the magazine sticking out. I've been spoiled by the Ruger 10/22 flush magazine. Doesn't affect function or accuracy, just a personal preference. If you do get a 10/22, find a replacement for the factory sight. Peep sight, more of a standard ramp and leaf, anything but the factory. IMHO, the factory brass bead on the ramp with the v notch rear are just terrible for anything except lined up on white paper.