So, Andrew Speaker was sent home today. After finding out that his extensively drug resistant TB was actually the somewhat less dire multidrug resistant kind, they eventually decided to still go ahead and remove the infected portion of his lung. They probably could've cured his MDR TB with antiobiotics, but it would take years of daily doses and might still fail after all that. So surgery sounds like a much swifter, more definitive treatment.

He was sent home by air ambulance. Doctors do not consider him contagious anymore and they would have let him fly a commerical flight home, but after what happened before, they thought it was better to send him home this way. He will still continue antibiotics for a couple years.

Oh, in other related news, remember Mr. Daniels from Arizona? The TB patient in the prisoner ward? He was transferred to the same hosptial where Andrew Speaker was, National Jewish Medical Center in Denver, a number of weeks back. The details were sketchy in the short news clip I read, but sounds like his condition is getting worse. I forget, but I believe he has XDR TB.

So, I guess that pretty much closes the book on Andrew Speaker's saga. Sure, he still faces lawsuits, but at least as far as his TB is concerned. From international manhunt to hospital discharge took maybe four months. Not bad. Maybe he should've taken a long honeymoon in Italy, eh?