Hi Dougwalkabout,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I have already done the can as a cooking pot with the kids but never thought of having them make their own knives. The older group of kids I work with in the winter would really enjoy this and I will start looking for some suitable steel/handles now. Great Idea!

I also never thought about the wire saws not being weapons, nice.

I agree with you about Thrift Shops being a great place to find outdoor gear. Usually I find nice metal containers there but have also found some great deals on outdoor clothing (e.g. heavy wool pants, shirts and even Goretex coats). On the weekends when I do not have to work, I try and go to the yard sales with my wife, lots of good outdoor stuff found there.

The kits I have made with the kids so far have been a real compromise between size, cost and quality. My personal kits are much more extensive but I hope that this basic kit and instruction will spark an interest in the kids to learn and prepare before a problem arises.

Your paragraph about Survival Skills promoting trust, team-work, self-confidence and self-esteem in children was very well said and I think this is why I stay involved even during the trying times. Many of the children I taught last week come from a much more difficult enviroment than I was raised in or that my 3 children live in. After discussing the production/use of fire in history and then having each child create their own fire, cook over it and then explain to me how they safely put it out was definetely the highlight of my session last week.

During my lecture I did a short session on "Wilderness Knowledge" (how to keep yourself out of a survival situation) I also did a brief talk on "Bush Stupidity" (things you do in the life that are so stupid that they risk your life or the lives of others). The kids listened well and provided lots of examples, but I hope I did not come across to strong or heavy?

This teaching thing is an ongoing work in process for me, please keep your suggestions coming.

Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it.

Mike