I think we all desire the one lighter that will be the the ultimate 'everything-proof' unit but as mentioned in this forum, it will probably get lost at some stage so we will always need some backup. I think it is fair to say that one lighter won't be the answer so then my advice is to get one that you like. By this I mean pick a lighter that does what you want most of the time and have matches or flint/striker on standby<br><br>I carry a Prince Pocket Torch providing the mega hot flame. They don't work very well in extremes but having a flame that will burn practically anything is awesome. I love they way the burn upside down. Great for lighting tea candles, hex tablets and starting fires very quickly, as often you don't need to prepare as much in the way of tinder/kindling. Throw some sticks together and unlleash its 1300 degree flame....argh argh ...argh<br><br>Now that I have an awesome lighter that will burn in most conditions, having something that will make a fire when it all turns to custard. I just made myself a backup firelighter system using an old mini-maglight.<br><br>I removed as much as I could from the insides of the maglight to be effectivly left with a waterproof tube. I bought a basic flint striker and with some ingenuity attached it to the end cap. The end cap screws back in to the maglight body remaining hidden. I then shortend the flint (that was fun with a hacksaw :-)) so that there was enough room left in the maglight tube so that I could store one peice of quaility tinder. (It remains waterproof and still looks like a mini-mag)<br><br>This means that whenever I go out I have a great lighter that will burn most things but if a real emergeny occured, I have a quaility flint for starting fires and one peice of tinder for getting me started.<br><br>Heres something to ponder....have you noticed that wind generally makes natural fires work better and makes articial fires work worse....mmm<br><br><br><br><br>