Originally Posted By: ironraven
Not a thing I can add to that other than insulate yourself from the floor of the cave as best you can. Bring the thickest sleeping pad you own.

Personally, I find that the lack of good packed piles makes it harder to make a proper snow cave than it is sometimes worth in terms of time spent looking. I usually make a snow trench- exactly what it sounds like. Insulate the bottom, put supports across the top, then more insulation, and pile snow on top. Not as warm, but if you can't find a proper snow mound it is a lot better than nothing.

You can find hollows as was mentioned under trees with low branches, I like spruces myself for this because they go so low to the ground.

In my area this is excellent advice. Also, if one is in a true emergency situation it pays to keep in mind that it takes much less time and energy to create a snow trench or a shelter under a good-sized evergreen than it does to excavate a snow cave. The latter, offering as it does the possibility of a fire (warning noted, ironraven!), would actually be my first choice.

Frank2135