Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#295270 - 03/18/20 11:39 PM How any soap kills Coronavirus (after 20 sec !)
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I didn't know that any regular soap is that effective against viruses (I always thought you need some special soap). And that washing your hands with water without the soap is apparently not effective at all. Also you should leave your hands covered with the soap at least 20 seconds otherwise the virus might survive.

Source - youtube video "How soap kills the coronavirus":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LKVUarhtvE

#295273 - 03/19/20 12:55 AM Re: How any soap kills Coronavirus (after 20 sec !) [Re: raptor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Good stuff!

#295289 - 03/19/20 01:32 PM Re: How any soap kills Coronavirus (after 20 sec !) [Re: Phaedrus]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

#295298 - 03/19/20 07:53 PM Re: How any soap kills Coronavirus (after 20 sec !) [Re: raptor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've never heard that detergent (what most "soap" is today) actually kills viruses. My understanding is that it encapsulates viruses and then allows water to rinse it off the hands, much as it does with dirt and oils.

I wouldn't put too much faith in a YouTube video. The CDC information is excellent and credible. Be careful sanitizing surfaces with bleach since it can harm surfaces. I found it interesting that alchohol often dries too fast to properly sanitize. Didn't know that.

I've selected to use the quat ammonium-based Clorox wipes and Lysol Disinfectant spray/wipes on surfaces. As I recall, when a kid we used to use tablets with this as a sanitizer for cooking gear at Boy Scout summer camp. Quats are gentler to surfaces. Avoid using the spray directly on wood, electronics, ... You can soak paper towel and wipe it on. Make sure it's wet for at least 3 minutes for the coronavirus. Rinse children's or dog toys well - it is toxic if not dried.

Actually, the details of its toxicity is a bit confusing to me. I know it is toxic as a solution. I hope not when dried, per my childhood camp use.

#295303 - 03/19/20 09:54 PM Re: How any soap kills Coronavirus (after 20 sec !) [Re: raptor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Where the video is posted has no bearing on the credibility of the information. I believe from prior training that the information in the Vox video is accurate. It also conforms to longtime CDC handwashing protocol IIRC.

#295326 - 03/20/20 11:58 PM Re: How any soap kills Coronavirus (after 20 sec !) [Re: KenK]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: KenK
I wouldn't put too much faith in a YouTube video.

While I agree I should have done more research into this than watching one video and post more sources I think Youtube is now much more valuable medium than it used to be. Among tons of stupid stuff you can actually find lots of good info and even some respected scientists now have YouTube channels (for example Sean Carrol) with podcasts etc.

Originally Posted By: KenK
I've never heard that detergent (what most "soap" is today) actually kills viruses. My understanding is that it encapsulates viruses and then allows water to rinse it off the hands, much as it does with dirt and oils.

From what I read the real soap dissolves the barrier that encapsulates the virus thus killing it. The question of course is what is the definition of "real soap".

Here are more sources:

Professor Karen Fleming (JHU): hand washing is important, because the soap breaks down the fat or outer lipid membrane that surrounds the virus, killing it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fbj0pu/professor_karen_fleming_jhu_hand_washing_is/

Why soap is preferable to bleach in the fight against coronavirus
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scien...st-coronavirus/

Deadly viruses are no match for plain, old soap — here’s the science behind it
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/deadly...d-it-2020-03-08

Edited by raptor (03/21/20 12:02 AM)
Edit Reason: typos, grammar

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.