Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#286340 - 09/19/17 10:37 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Related. What the USA may do in the next war with NK.

In a secret underground base, Command Post Tango, the combined headquarters of the U.S.-South Korean command, is abuzz with activity. North Korean artillery has pummeled sites around Seoul, leaving thousands of South Korean and American civilians and service members dead. A toxic combination of North Korean provocations and U.S. escalation has prompted the North to launch a last-ditch effort to seize the whole peninsula.

Put fears of full-blown nuclear war aside for a moment. We’ve never been closer to a conventional North Korean attack on South Korea, and I can attest that the U.S. military knows how devastating the consequences would be. We can expect a massive humanitarian crisis, enormous loss of life, and economic disaster. There’s almost no doubt that the North would lose – but in going down Pyongyang could take much of the Korean Peninsula with it.

We've never been closer to a North Korean attack on South Korea: Here's what could happen

John Lubbock

#286351 - 09/20/17 04:31 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
Pete Online   content
Veteran

I also think that the leader of N. Korea is the type of personality who would 'go for it' - attempt a surprise attack on S. Korea, Japan and Guam -if his back was to the wall. If they mount a surprise attack with chemical weapons (artillery shells), info sabotage (hacking), and possibly some nuclear weapons - I think that the damage and confusion on the Korean peninsula would be enormous.

But the author of the article (link posted above) has a very good point. N. Korea has no way to 'follow up' a surprise attack by re-supplying their own Army divisions when they cross the DMZ ... they can't even feed their own army inside their own country. Any surprise attack on S. Korea would fizzle extremely quickly. And then N. Korea would be wiped out.

But just the same ... the damage from chemical and nuclear contamination would be tremendous. Hope it never comes to this.

#286352 - 09/20/17 06:23 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
Montanero Offline
Old Hand

Loc: North Carolina
Their weapons are used primarily for extortion, which has worked well for them in the past. They over estimate their own influence, because we have always paid them off in the past, and underestimate the power of South Korea, Japan and the U.S.

The Demilitarized zone has protected the north more than the south for the last 2 or 3 decades. The South Korean Army is much better than that of the North.

North Korea is more like a mosquito. It can bite a little, but it is easier to squash than most people think.

#286353 - 09/20/17 07:29 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Montanero, certainly pertinent comments. My experience with 'Frozen Chosen' dates from 1961. Serving in the 1st Cav, I made one trip to Panmunjom.

I remember South Korean soldiers as being basically in better shape than most of the US troops, who were comparatively plump and soft.

#286357 - 09/21/17 02:55 AM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
This post is tangential to the debate at hand, and yet may be remarkably relevant. It's hard to think of a better place for it.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017...dies-at-age-77/

It is hard to imagine, but this Soviet colonel's quiet courage and common sense is, quite possibly, the reason we have the luxury of having this discussion today. Naturally, he was censured and lived in poverty for his actions. The world recently learned that he passed away this year.

Thank you, Stanislav Petrov. The world hasn't improved much, and people not at all, but I hope the world we try to build will be a worthy legacy for you.

#286418 - 34 minutes 25 seconds ago Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
Pete Online   content
Veteran

agree. he was one of the lifesavers who stopped the Cold War from going into a real Hot War. it took some cool judgment and a lot of common sense - he saved the world.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
6 registered (Ratch, wildman800, Pete, Phaedrus, M_a_x, nursetim), 293 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
WonderW, Adrienne224, lupacexi, mattbpkt, John_Sarnik
5217 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane Irma-aftermath
by wildman800
0 seconds ago
Earthquake Early Warning Systems
by Pete
6 minutes 13 seconds ago
Can any modern city be evacuated?
by Phaedrus
8 minutes 20 seconds ago
Nuclear Targets-What are they?
by Pete
11 minutes 19 seconds ago
Be Back Friday
by Phaedrus
13 minutes 18 seconds ago
Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency
by Pete
14 minutes 8 seconds ago
And then there was Maria...
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Maxpedition deal at Woot
by Russ
Yesterday at 08:42 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.