Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#99896 - 07/15/07 02:55 PM Ho Chi Minh trail
scaatylobo Offline
stranger

Some of you will remember the trail that the vietcong used to take supplies to the south dueing the 'unpleasantness'.But there was a very valuable lesson for me there,and that has not come to light till now.I am almost 60 [ 2 months ] and in great health,except I had one knee replaced and the other is next.That limits my weight bearing to VERY little,so I took a page from the north vietnamese and went to a bicycle as that will allow me to carry a load of well over 500 pounds,yes you read that right.I could [ past tense ] walk with a full pack of 60 to 100 pounds,now I can load up the bike and carry a load that would kill most men and not even know I have a strain.There maybe some liturature online and that would give you a start on this idea.I am SURE I am not the only one that would like to carry [bike] a real load and not worry about the weight.My 00.02

#99908 - 07/15/07 07:37 PM Re: Ho Chi Minh trail [Re: scaatylobo]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
What kind of bike?

What kind of carrier containers?

Sue

#99918 - 07/15/07 08:32 PM Re: Ho Chi Minh trail [Re: scaatylobo]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My biggest problem, given the state of my back, would be picking the loaded bike up if I dropped it. Pushing it uphill does not sound like fun either. Hope it works for you...

#99929 - 07/15/07 11:20 PM Re: Ho Chi Minh trail [Re: OldBaldGuy]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

I think the idea would be to go with a bike cart rather than loading up the bike itself

http://bikecart.pedalpeople.com/

#99939 - 07/16/07 03:44 AM Re: Ho Chi Minh trail [Re: scaatylobo]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I had the same idea, I've even used it to move my duffel and ruck full of gear across campus, back when I didn't have a car.
Adding a longer pole to the handle bars to help steer and hold on to would have helped me. But the concept works really well for carrying freight as long as you don't mind moving at a walking pace or slightly slower.

Any other tips or ideas you can think of for making this work easier, maybe over rough terrain?

#99946 - 07/16/07 05:29 AM Re: Ho Chi Minh trail [Re: scaatylobo]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Good idea on the using of a bike to move a heavy load.

Where I live there are many Forest Access Roads that are closed to motorized travel. These are good gravel roads that access terrific remote country and the use of bikes and carts (even horses) are permitted on most of them. A group of my neighbours uses a homemade rickshaw(sp) type cart with 4 tandem bike wheels to move their entire fall hunting tent camp 8 kilometers into a remote forest cutover. The cart is pulled by 2 men on flat ground and 4 men when going uphill. The real work begins after their hunt is successful, carting a bull moose out to the gate where their vehicles are parked.

We also used to access a remote Lake Trout lake beside an abandoned railway line by putting our canoe (with all the camping gear in it) in a homemade wheeled cart. This cart used 2 mountain bike type wheels, mounted in homemade welded forks connected by a crossbar at the axles. Two 3 foot pieces of 2x4 were bolted to the crossbeam and the canoe sat on these. It was hard on fiberglass or kevlar canoes, but aluminum or plastic (Coleman) canoes had no trouble with it.

Mike

#99964 - 07/16/07 02:19 PM Re: Ho Chi Minh trail [Re: hamilton]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
A cart would no doubt be better (as long as the trail is wide enough), but all of the photos I saw from the war were simple bikes with huge loads, being walked by a person with both hands on the handlebars and both feet on the ground. Seems to me that a heavily loaded bike is going to fall over a lot, not to mention having to "drop" your bike to help a buddy over a log, etc.

I used to fish a little walk in lake with a friend. There was a dirt road, very steep in places, so he made a frame from an old bedframe, and put two bike wheels on the sides. We would set his flat bottomed jon boat on the frame, load it with our gear, and a fishin' we would go. Only problem was coming out, on the steep part of the road it seemed that we pushed up one step and slid back two. Probably still better than carrying the thing tho...

#100014 - 07/17/07 03:41 AM Re: Ho Chi Minh trail [Re: scaatylobo]
Madbomber_Mike Offline
Journeyman

Loc: The End of the World, Iraq
Sir! That is one fine idea! Those guys had their act together anyway. And we all know the rules of warfare in Asia, the most committed wins!
Good call,

#100026 - 07/17/07 10:10 AM Re: Ho Chi Minh trail [Re: Madbomber_Mike]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Look at this :

http://www.cyclesmaximus.com/cargotrike.htm

And also look at the "electric assist option" !

http://www.cyclesmaximus.com/electricassist.htm

Not for the Amazon jungle or the Ho Chi Minh trail, but great for paved or unpaved roads.

#100074 - 07/17/07 11:43 PM Re: Ho Chi Minh trail [Re: scaatylobo]
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Well a partial Correction. It was *also* the North Vietnamese, and not only the Viet Cong, -bringing their Supplies and Troops on down the Trail. Probably Pathet Lao and Khmer Rouge too, -as in the Famous Example of our Satellites once snapping a Shot, -of their bringing a Yacht on down, -for Sihanouk!

The Cargo Carrying Capacity of a Bike, -I too think I would find Interesting!

Edited by ScottRezaLogan (07/17/07 11:55 PM)
Edit Reason: an Additional Item.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.