Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#99668 - 07/12/07 02:29 AM Doug's Media Workshop... suggestions?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
News people used to use the Who, What, Where, When, Why, How method of collecting information, which is apparently no longer in use.

So, to assist in intrepid cub reporter who happens to be on the scene first, what should he ask?

For starters:

Were you familiar with this area for your hike/climb/raft trip/etc?

Were you hiking alone? Did you have a plan in case you were lost or injured?

Were you carrying any survival equipment for shelter, fire, signaling, water and food?

Do you know how to use all the equipment you were carrying?

Did you carry clothing appropriate for weather changes?

Did you leave word with people as to where you were going and when you would be back? Did you deviate from those plans?

Did you have a GPS with you?

When you first realized you were lost, did you stop and wait for rescuers, or continue onward? Please explain why you did what you did.

What else?

Sue

#99692 - 07/12/07 01:16 PM Re: Doug's Media Workshop... suggestions? [Re: Susan]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Quote:
News people used to use the Who, What, Where, When, Why, How method of collecting information, which is apparently no longer in use.

Not true. Still very much the case, and in fact, I think it's more so today than 10 years ago. Your own list is, in fact, just a re-ordering of the W5H model, with specific questions.

In addition, the questions in your list are presumptive and leading and would force the respondent to reply in a manner that would not give you all the facts.

Here's how to ask questions that will give a true and objective story: (having been on the receiving end of numerous reporters interviews, I can assure you that these are the better questions).

1. What's your name? How do you spell that?
2. Are you from around here?
3. So, what happened? (listen, don't interrupt, write all you can down. Better: record it). Ask clarifying questions related to place, time and people only (where did that happen? when did that happen? who was there?)
4. Did you expect that to happen?
5. What might you have done differently next time?
6. Is there anything you'd like me to include in the story that you want people to know?
7. Do you know of anyone else I should be talking to about this?

You see, your list of "questions" is nothing less than a list of mistakes that you think they made. That's not objective reporting, that's simply leading the interview where you want it to go to fill an agenda you already have, which is to castigate the hapless explorer for their failure to be equipped as you see fit.

Let me put it this way: If they are in a bad enough situation that reporters show up, they are already pretty well aware that they screwed up. Coming along and badgering them with "Did you have a map and a plan" does nothing but puts them on the defensive. On the other hand, asking "What might you have done differently next time?" would more likely get a response like, "Well, I'd bring a map and a flashlight, for starters"

Confrontation journalism is the lowest form of media, and should be avoided by anyone with talent.

#99701 - 07/12/07 02:39 PM Re: Doug's Media Workshop... suggestions? [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
DO NOT ask the parents/spouse "how does that make you feel?", right after they have been told that their son/daughter/spouse has been found dead...

#99712 - 07/12/07 04:05 PM Re: Doug's Media Workshop... suggestions? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MedB Offline

Susan,

I think it's great you are asking for some input; that's what forums like this are all about right?

My experience suggests that Martin has it dead-on. Whenever you are trying to get useful and objective info (interview, coaching, management, etc), then you always want to go with "open" vs "closed" questions.

"Closed" questions can be answered with a single word/thought.

"Open" questions can't be answered with a yes or no. They require the person to think and share with you.

Start with open questions and then use closed questions only when absolutely needed to clarify any confusion.

For examaple...
"Did you hit your classmate?"
vs
"What happened in class earlier?" -listen- "How did it start?" -listen - (only then if needed...) "So you are saying he walked up and kicked you without you saying a single word to him. Is that right?"

Hope that all makes sense and best of luck on your interviews.

#99778 - 07/13/07 02:39 AM Re: Doug's Media Workshop... suggestions? [Re: MedB]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Then I suppose I shouldn't ask anything like, "How on earth could you have been so stupid as to put your life and those of your children in jeopardy simply to justify your puerile Van Damme fantasies?"

Hmmmm....... sigh ........... okay.

Sue

#99990 - 07/16/07 10:03 PM Re: Doug's Media Workshop... suggestions? [Re: Susan]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I think that perhaps you might not be the best person to conduct an interview. Seriously. This is an important thing to know.

Also, if I might take a moment - when you are on the other side - the reporter is asking you questions, I can give you a few pointers.

1. Remember that the reporter (at least a good reporter) isn't going to take sides. That said, they are there to get a story. You give them a better story, it's going to be easier to write about it.

2. Give the reporter written materials where possible,

3. You don't have to answer anything, but if you don't want to answer a question, just tell the reporter that you'd rather answer a different question, and leave it at that.

4. They won't get it 100% right, but most of them try.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 546 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.