Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#99376 - 07/08/07 11:58 PM Does anyone else use a lanyard approach for a PSK?
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Does anyone else here use a lanyard approach for a PSK?

If so, what do you keep on yours?

Do you carry a supplementary/backup PSK tin too?

#99382 - 07/09/07 01:24 AM Re: Does anyone else use a lanyard approach for a PSK? [Re: GarlyDog]
alvacado Offline

Loc: South Texas
I occasionally use a lanyard to carry any number of things under my shirt; including, at different times, my cell phone, neck knife, .380 auto, and a "passport" type pouch for other small items. I also use Doug's mini kit. Between my pocket and wallet EDC I am fairly well covered most of the time. I have never ever carried a mint tin for survival purposes...YUK!!!!

Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm

#99415 - 07/09/07 06:41 AM Re: Does anyone else use a lanyard approach for a PSK? [Re: alvacado]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

I've thought about trying a neck carry for some things, but I always thought it be to cumbersome, uncomfortable, or inconvenient. What do you actually carry around your neck? and how convenient is it to use if it's under your shirt?

#99418 - 07/09/07 08:00 AM Re: Does anyone else use a lanyard approach for a PSK? [Re: hamilton]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
lighter, button compass, fox whistle, two important keys, photon light, and a knife.

The lanyard is three pieces of braided paracord. The items are spread so they don't clank when I move and tied on so they stay flat against me. It took a few versions before I got it to work for me. I have been using my latest version for about a year.

I normally wear golf shirts and have no problem with it being uncomfortable or cumbersome. I use all of the components, except the whistle, fairly regularly with out it being inconvenient.

Gary

#99438 - 07/09/07 02:40 PM Re: Does anyone else use a lanyard approach for a PSK? [Re: GarlyDog]
Equipped4Chicago Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
lighter, button compass, fox whistle, two important keys, photon light, and a knife.

The lanyard is three pieces of braided paracord. The items are spread so they don't clank when I move and tied on so they stay flat against me. It took a few versions before I got it to work for me. I have been using my latest version for about a year.

I normally wear golf shirts and have no problem with it being uncomfortable or cumbersome. I use all of the components, except the whistle, fairly regularly with out it being inconvenient.

Gary

Gary. May you post a picture? I was thinking of buying a neck pounch to carry some EDC (as it would be handy for my employment)

#99464 - 07/09/07 07:14 PM Re: Does anyone else use a lanyard approach for a PSK? [Re: GarlyDog]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Cody Lundin in his book '98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive!' uses this technique. The Ranger Rick survival necklace also does too.
I keep my knive, a mora, sparker, whistle and misc items on a 10 piece of parachute cord that I brade, it is not cut into sections. It is clunky but mostly it goes in a pack or pocket but can be versatile.
cheers

#99468 - 07/09/07 07:28 PM Re: Does anyone else use a lanyard approach for a [Re: atoz]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
I EDC the same items as GarlyDog (but light is Inova, tool is Squirt) plus a couple band-aids, a US$20 bill, a mini Bic, SparkLite/TinderQuik and some Tylenol in a small pouch. The pouch is pretty durable nylon, it could easily be worn around the neck and under a shirt without a huge bulge. Or worn on a belt as intended. I S-clip mine to a pants pocket (carried inside), that's how I get the girls.

The pouch is specially made as an artificial respiration/CPR kit. It is about 2.5x2.5", so quite small, about 1/2-3/4" thick as stuffed. These are not hard to find, and have an expiry date for the stuff in them so typically get thrown out at work, but we know better. The pouch keeps stuff from sticking in to me, I am generally not comfortable with stuff around my neck, but it's an option I do occasionally use.

#99475 - 07/09/07 10:00 PM Re: Does anyone else use a lanyard approach for a PSK? [Re: GarlyDog]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I use a paracord lanyard for my E.D.C. ring. But its to keep it attached to my belt. It is long enough to double as a neck loop.
I also carry a small tin around with me. Altoids as it happens. I picked it because it's just the right size to slip in a pocket and forget about. Full sized tins are too intrusive for E.D.C. use. I do not call it a "survival kit." I prefer to refer to it as my "ready use" tin. I use and replace bit's out of it on a regular basis. Think of a hollow handled knife kit on steroids.

Contents:
Plasters (various) x 10.
Tinder-Quick tab's x 8. *
Swedish Match Company long burn matches X 10*
Striker x 2
B.C.B Lifeboat matches X 3.
Asprin and Ibuprfen X 10.*
4' duct tape (rolled).
Safety pins X 9.
Fishing hooks x 12.
Split shot, various sizes X 12.
Braided wire leader X 1.
Snelled hooks X 2.
Needles X 3.
Cord X 6'.
Sewing tread X 15'.
Scalpel blade X 3.
MP-1 Tablets X 8.
* = in 3" plasic baggies for easy handling.
Hooks, neddles etc are in a platic tube out of a R.S.K.
I also have 3 more bit's of tinder crammed into odd corners.

I don't have a compass in there because I have one on my watch and one on my E.D.C. Ring.

#99480 - 07/09/07 10:55 PM Re: Does anyone else use a lanyard approach for a PSK? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Question for those people who do use Neck Lanyards. When carrying larger multiple items under your shirt is it noticeable and do people question you about it?

It is important for me to keep low profile and not draw attention to myself. I have grown tired of having people ask me "why do you carry a multitool, knife, LED, lighter ....", but these are the first people to come to you for help when they have a problem.

I need to rethink my EDC but I just have too many keys to do a keyring kit. I am working on a small, thin kit that would occupy 1/2 of my wallet, I will post it for review when I am done.

Mike

#99498 - 07/10/07 01:56 AM Re: Does anyone else use a lanyard approach for a PSK? [Re: GarlyDog]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oh, I think this is out for some of us more furry individuals. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.