Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#99399 - 07/09/07 03:04 AM Re: PSK fishing gear questions [Re: WillCAD]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
This is one of those ask three people get four answers type of questions. I'm in the same possition you are, actually, I might fish two or three times a year as a social event, and hate freshwater fish.

A lot of people like the full fledged military kit. If you need that much gear, IMHO, it means that they've probably stopped looking for you if you are dry land.

This is very similiar to what I carry in my PSK:
I carry it in a breath strip tin, it fits better, with spectra rather than mono line, and I add a few sequins to be shiny bait. Trout are terminally dumb or way to territorial, they seem to bite anything shiny. I have seen trout caught on a naked hook and a sequin.

I like the swivels becuase they let you use things other than fish line for your line. Tie one onto a core line from your paracord bootlaces, clip a hook on, and ta-da!, you've got a fish line. Can't tie corelines to hooks so well. And they give you options as far as setting up your line, and in some kinds of trapping, so take them.

Weight is tricky. As others have said, it depends on what you are looking for. I've got the same questions myself. I make it up as I go along and have decent luck. If you really wanted to, the Scouts have a fishing merit badge- the pamphlets are usually in expensive. Gut one to what you need, put it in a bag, and stick it in your kit. smile I don't think they are available online for free....

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#99427 - 07/09/07 01:42 PM Re: PSK fishing gear questions [Re: WillCAD]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

My PSK "fishing kit" consists of a half dozen hooks, 25' of monofilament, and a couple of swivels. All stored in the handle of my Becker. Some people carry even less (nothing) while some carry a dedicated fishing kit. I have no experience fishing on Chesapeake Bay and so am not even remotely qualified to advise you what to carry. My advice? Go down a list of your friends, relatives, or acquaintances, pick out one that does fish, and have them take you out a few times.

Fishing is a good survival skill to know. Plus it's just plain fun--as long as they are biting. smile

#99514 - 07/10/07 05:00 AM Re: PSK fishing gear questions [Re: JohnnyUpton]
drahthaar Offline

I agree with the suggestions to learn by practicing.

But as for swivels, you don't need them unless you are using lures (such as spinners) that will twist your line.

One other thing I'd suggest - learn a good fishing knot - like the uniknot or something else that works well with fishing line. General purpose knots sometimes don't hold fishing line very well or weaken the line too much.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.