The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#99334 - 07/08/07 06:09 AM PSK fishing gear questions
WillCAD Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Or should I say, questionaire...

Yup, I'm a moron. Here I am living on the shores of the great Chessapeake Bay (been here my whole life, incidentally,) and yet I have not done any fishing since I was about 12. And I have only the most basic, vague idea what each piece of fishing gear is for.

Hooks, okay, I know what they're for. They hold the bait, then when the fish eats the bait, the hook grabs the fish from the inside so it can't get free, and my dinner is nigh.

Line, again, DUH.

Split shot, well, okay, they weigh down the bait and hook so as to keep them from floating too near the surface or drifting too horizontally in the current, right? But how and where should they be attached? Is there some rule of thumb about this? I have seen a few web pages with recommendations about different setups for different types of fish, but I couldn't tell a trout from a salmon without a picture so I sure wouln't be able to pick the right setup in a survival situation.

Snap swivels? They seem to serve two purposes - the snap part allows quick attachment and detachment of pre-made leads with hooks and weights, while the swivel part allows the hook to spin without twisting the line. But again, how should these be used? Weights above or below? Lead length? Should I put them on the line, or on the lead, or both?

And how should I set all these things up for storage in a PSK? Should I make a few pre-configured leads with hooks and weights on so I won't have to futz with it in a survival situation, or is it better to put all the pieces into the kit individually and rig them up for specific situations as I need them?

Despite our proximity to the Chessapeake, my family was simply never big on fishing, so I never learned all this basic stuff.

#99336 - 07/08/07 09:55 AM Re: PSK fishing gear questions [Re: WillCAD]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I'd say go fishing and try different ways and see what works for you. At least it gets you out.

#99337 - 07/08/07 11:08 AM Re: PSK fishing gear questions [Re: aloha]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
Look for emergency fishing kits on Ebay. You can often find the Fishing Kit, Emergency Mil Spec by Tra-Con, Inc there. I have two that I picked up for about $10 each. They are usually old, but that only affects the clear plastic box it comes in. It's really well stocked with everything you need except live bait.

#99338 - 07/08/07 12:08 PM Re: PSK fishing gear questions [Re: WillCAD]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Split shots are attached simply by squeezing the line under the caoutchouc stuff, about one foot from the lure. The snap swivels are especially useful when you are fishing with a moving Mepps type of lure or a jig and they are just next to the lure and allow quick change of lures. Just store them individually and rig them up when you need it. If the conditions allow fishing and given it's kind of low in the priorities, it means you will probably have the dexterity to set it up on the spot. Besides, fishing gear is there primarily for keeping yourself busy. If you really need food, you will be looking for small fish, so favor small hooks. I once caught a pike with a safety pin and some old line I found on the shore. When fish are hungry they jump on everything that shines.

#99343 - 07/08/07 02:48 PM Re: PSK fishing gear questions [Re: Frankie]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Determining the right place for the slipshot comes from experience and knowledge of the area you're fishing and the prey. Aloha's right....you have to go fishing and make mistakes to get that experience.

You might put your slipshot a foot from your hook(s) if you want your bait on the bottom (say for catfish). You might want it three or four feet up from the hook to keep it near the bottom when you know the fish are feeding deep.

Go fishing! You'll eventually catch some then you'll get experience cleaning and cooking them! (Or, just do as the Bear does: sit around the campfire and and eat them raw) ((( smile )))

#99348 - 07/08/07 04:22 PM Re: PSK fishing gear questions [Re: WillCAD]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

As a starter you could go to the libuary and check out the SAS HANDBOOK starting on page 228 you will find fishing help.

#99354 - 07/08/07 06:06 PM Re: PSK fishing gear questions [Re: Stretch]
WillCAD Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Originally Posted By: Stretch
(Or, just do as the Bear does: sit around the campfire and and eat them raw) ((( smile )))

Not on a bet!

Sushi might be one of Bear's faves, but I prefer my fish fried.

Bear tends to fish, eat raw, then move on, but I would pick a campsite and start a fire first so I could cook whatever I catch.

#99355 - 07/08/07 06:49 PM Re: PSK fishing gear questions [Re: WillCAD]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Asking how to rig fishing gear is like asking what it the best knife. Everyone has his/her opinion as to the best way to rig, best lure, best whatever. And how you rig can vary depending on they type of fish you are after, the water (lake or stream, salt or fresh), the bait you find, all kinds of things. You can probably either do the library thing, or just do some googling, and get enough info to get started. Then you can form your own opinion, and next time someone asks this question you can jump in with your two cents...

#99358 - 07/08/07 07:19 PM Re: PSK fishing gear questions [Re: WillCAD]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
You have many of the basics.
Most fishing skill comes from experience and trial and error. Keep it basic when starting out, don't try to set up anything real complex. Stick to simple bait fishing.

In your neck of the woods I would imagine that this years hatch of Bluefish are stating to turn into what are know as "Snappers".
The snappers will be very active along inland waters during the end of July through early September. You can use a basic bamboo-cane pole or get a light spincast set up. The snapper rig is basically a bobber with a leader and long hook. You bait it with small baitfish (you can buy these or catch them too with a minnow trap or casting net).
These baby Bluefish will eat almost any prey so you can use shiners, spearing, killies all kinds of bait fish.
Try fishing for snappers and you will gain a lot of experience this summer. Then expend on other species, gear and techniques.

Another path is to do the same except in a freshwater pond and learn to fish for varieties of sunfish; easy to learn as well.

#99372 - 07/08/07 10:19 PM Re: PSK fishing gear questions [Re: billym]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Quote:
Split shot, well, okay, they weigh down the bait and hook so as to keep them from floating too near the surface or drifting too horizontally in the current, right? But how and where should they be attached? Is there some rule of thumb about this? I have seen a few web pages with recommendations about different setups for different types of fish, but I couldn't tell a trout from a salmon without a picture so I sure wouln't be able to pick the right setup in a survival situation.

The further away from the bait the higher the bait will be above the bottom. I’d use a minimum of 12”. If you’re fishing in any kind of current, you’ll need at least 3/16 oz of weight to keep it on the bottom.

Quote:
Snap swivels? They seem to serve two purposes - the snap part allows quick attachment and detachment of pre-made leads with hooks and weights, while the swivel part allows the hook to spin without twisting the line. But again, how should these be used? Weights above or below? Lead length? Should I put them on the line, or on the lead, or both?

The weight needs to be on the opposite side of the swivel of the bait for the swivel to work. I’ve used snell sets from 2’ to 8’. The longer the snell the harder its to set the hook.

Quote:
And how should I set all these things up for storage in a PSK? Should I make a few pre-configured leads with hooks and weights on so I won't have to futz with it in a survival situation, or is it better to put all the pieces into the kit individually and rig them up for specific situations as I need them?

I’d make them on the spot. If you can tie a surgeons loop and the basic fishing knot you can make your own snells.

You’d be surprised how much gear you can store in a film canister. Wrap line on the outside, Hooks, blades, splitshot, swivels, beads and Bobbers on the inside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.