Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#99176 - 07/05/07 02:51 PM New use for old gift cards
WillCAD Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Well, the whole reason I found ETS was that I'm doing research and trying to put together a PSK for my vehicle.

As I'm putting the kit together, I'm using a lot of ideas from ETS and a few other random places, but I found that I actually came up with one on my own, so I figured I'd share it and see what everybody else thinks of it:

Most PSKs include some duct and vinyl electrical tape in them, either as mini-rolls or folded flat. I tried making a mini-roll myself and the durn things just wouldn't roll straight enough.

But then I had a brainstorm, and it seemed to work pretty well - I used an old WalMart gift card as a core and wound 10' of duct tape around it. Finished thickness is about 1/4", and of course, the length and height are only slightly larger than the card itself; I can almost carry one of these in my wallet.

If I were to trim the cards length by about 1/4"-3/8" before rolling, I probably COULD carry one of these in my wallet, especially if I went with only 5' of tape instead of 10' to decrease the finished thikness.

I did the same thing with vinyl electrical tape and wound two 10' lengths around a single card, side by side.

I don't know what other uses these cards couild be put to in the field after the tape is all used, but there's got to be something.

#99177 - 07/05/07 02:57 PM Re: New use for old gift cards [Re: WillCAD]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Hey, I use the same thing for my duct-tape. I carry them in my PSK's and FAK's.

Tongue-depressors to put duct-tape, electricians-tape, medical-tape and dental floss on also work.

#99179 - 07/05/07 03:19 PM Re: New use for old gift cards [Re: JIM]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Good idea thanks smile

You could even use $5 or $10 cards to wal-mart that have the $ still on them just in case you need to stop in to wal-mart slide the card out wink (Use the first piece around it backwards so the card can come out)

#99202 - 07/05/07 11:13 PM Re: New use for old gift cards [Re: Todd W]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"... cards...that have the $ still on them..."

That is what I was going to say. Little bit of emergency money, just in case...

ps: Welcome Newguy...

#99209 - 07/06/07 12:38 AM Re: New use for old gift cards [Re: OldBaldGuy]
porkchop Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florence SC
You can squeeze both types of tape on the same card by wrapping it around the card "the short way" instead of "the long way".

Just put one of these in my wife's purse the other day, she found it and just rolled her eyes. She loves me but thinks I'm a nut... oh well.

Look for those fake credit cards that come in the mail. I've used several to flat pack tape. Now I've got duct tape stashed all over the place.

Edited by porkchop (07/06/07 12:40 AM)

#99218 - 07/06/07 01:46 AM Re: New use for old gift cards [Re: porkchop]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
^ That's what I do, it works well.

Kinda OT, but somebody was looking for flat duct tape with a non-stick backing for their PSK. This post reminded me of that. I just noticed today that Coghlans now sells it, never saw it before. It's a tad larger than a credit card, but similar idea.

#99224 - 07/06/07 02:26 AM Re: New use for old gift cards [Re: cfraser]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Duct tape with a nonstick backing......

Owwwwww.... There idea of non-sticky duct tape hurts my brain. Please tell me I'm going in the wrong direction with this image.

WillCAD, you can turn them into spoons for fishing, use them as part of a trigger in a trap, tinder, get it wet and it might almost be shiny if you have nothing else, bobbin to hold improvised/found cordage (found a whole snarl of monofiliment on the side of a stream a few weeks ago, I'd really like a word with who ever left that), kindling (emergency only), a catcher under a board if you are using a firebow to keep ground moisture away from your spark, as part of a patch in a rigid plastic container that has been damaged, patch if you wear a hole in the sole of your shoe, miniature bullroarer to get attention and/or to attact lunch....

60 seconds, no duplication

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#99226 - 07/06/07 02:35 AM Re: New use for old gift cards [Re: ironraven]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Duct tape with a nonstick backing......

Owwwwww.... There idea of non-sticky duct tape hurts my brain. Please tell me I'm going in the wrong direction with this image.

The tape back is sticky, but the paper backing stuck to it isn't. I'm sticking to that explanation.

Personally, I don't exactly understand this stuff. I find it more of a nuisance to use than regular tape without backing, but then I'm not the most coordinated guy... I guess it has its uses since lots of tape is (inexplicably to me) available this way.

#99297 - 07/07/07 02:51 AM Re: New use for old gift cards [Re: cfraser]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oh, that's easy. smile Most adhesives have a hard time sticking to super slick materials. Like wax or certain plastics.

Now, hard would be something like duct tape, just as strong and versatile, but dry, so you have to add moisture (lick) like you do with a proper stamp or envelope. THAT would be cool.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#99380 - 07/09/07 12:45 AM Re: New use for old gift cards [Re: ironraven]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Great idea. However, I'm not as keen on gift cards as some...especially for emergencies. There are a myriad of terms stores have and they seem to change by the minute. The expirations are horrific many times as well. I now use gift cards immediately whereas before I thought I'd save them for times when money gets tight. No more. Put cash in your kits. It doesn't expire, and you can also use it without penalty when the moon is in Virgo.

#99414 - 07/09/07 06:37 AM Re: New use for old gift cards [Re: yeti]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

I've used an old card to flat pack duck tape too. Word to the wise, you should probably avoid the wallet carry. That's how I carried my tape, and my body heat caused the glue to melt. The duck tape was permanently attached to my wallet (had to cut it out) and left my wallet a gummy mess. I'm not going to ruin another wallet trying that again.

#99703 - 07/12/07 02:44 PM Re: New use for old gift cards [Re: hamilton]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
You could also wrap up a needle in the duct tape on the card for safety purposes, or even a razor blade.

#99826 - 07/13/07 07:28 PM Re: New use for old gift cards [Re: jshannon]
Evan Offline
Engineer

Loc: IL
Wrap the needle or razor blade in a bit of waxed paper or parchment paper 1st to avoid a dangerous (perhaps bloody) attempt to extract it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.