Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#98470 - 06/26/07 07:02 PM Poison Ivy Becoming More Potent
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Just came across this Story, & thought you guys might want to read it.

Climate Changes Are Making
Poison Ivy More Potent

June 26, 2007;
Poison ivy, the scourge of summer campers, hikers and gardeners, is getting worse.

New research shows the rash-inducing plant appears to be growing faster and producing more potent oil compared with earlier decades. The reason? Rising ambient carbon-dioxide levels create ideal conditions for the plant, producing bigger leaves, faster growth, hardier plants and oil that's even more irritating.

Although the data on poison ivy come from controlled studies, they suggest the vexing plant is more ubiquitous than ever. And the more-potent oil produced by the plants may result in itchier rashes. "If it's producing a more virulent form of the oil, then even a small or more casual contact will result in a rash," says Lewis Ziska, a plant physiologist for the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Beltsville, Md.

The latest research, led by Dr. Ziska, studied poison ivy plants in Maryland under different levels of carbon-dioxide exposure. One group of plants was exposed to about 300 parts per million of carbon dioxide -- about the same level found in the atmosphere in the 1950s. Another group was exposed to 400 parts per million of CO2 -- about the same level in the atmosphere today.

After about eight months, leaf size, stem length and weight and oil content of the plants raised at current carbon-dioxide levels were, on average, 50% to 75% higher than the plants under the 1950s conditions, according to the study, expected to be published this year in the journal Weed Science. Not only did the higher CO2 level double the growth rate, but it made for hardier plants that recovered more quickly from the ravages of grazing animals.

The latest research follows a Duke University report last year that higher carbon-dioxide levels create a chemical change in poison ivy that results in a more potent form of urushiol, the oil that triggers an itchy rash in about 70% of people exposed to it. "It is more abundant and allergenic," says Jacqueline E. Mohan, who led the Duke study and is now assistant professor at the University of Georgia in Athens.

Poison ivy can be both shiny and dull -- even on the same stalk.
Poison ivy is difficult to identify. Hikers have long known the adage "leaves of three, let them be." But poison ivy, usually found east of the Rocky Mountains, can sometimes have more leaves and look like a shrub or vine. The leaves can range from one to six inches, and be notched or smooth. Depending on the season, they can be red or green.

One Web site .poison-ivy.org offers cards with life-size images to help identify the plant in its various incarnations. Long pants, long-sleeve shirts and socks can help, but clothes need to be removed and washed to avoid contact with urushiol that may have brushed on clothing. The oil can penetrate rubber gloves and boots, so vinyl gloves are recommended if you're trying to remove the plants.

One treatment, sold as IvyBlock, is rubbed on exposed areas before contact to prevent a rash. A 1995 study found the treatment prevented or significantly reduced poison ivy reactions.

Despite protective clothes and washing, Yale nursing professor Patricia Jackson Allen still contracted a rash on her forearms after gardening this weekend. The precautions prevented a more severe rash, but "I haven't found anything that works 100% for me,'' she says.

If you think you've come into contact with poison ivy, wash immediately. But if more than 10 minutes has passed, soap and water removes only about half the oil. A 2000 study found that Tecnu, an over-the-counter poison ivy wash, is about 70% effective in eliminating urushiol two to eight hours after exposure. Goop, a grease remover and Dial Ultra dishwashing soap were about 60% effective, according to a 2004 article in Pediatric Nursing. Rubbing alcohol also helps.

If exposure does occur, over-the-counter topical lotions may provide some relief. Severe cases can be treated with steroids by a doctor.

#98471 - 06/26/07 07:09 PM Re: Poison Ivy Becoming More Potent [Re: Themalemutekid]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Try this link, as I think you have a comma in the address link

Poison Ivy Org

#98475 - 06/26/07 08:12 PM Re: Poison Ivy Becoming More Potent [Re: Themalemutekid]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Anything with alcohol with clean of the urisol after contact.
Ivy Block is a product that actaully shields your skin from the oils.

#98477 - 06/26/07 08:25 PM Re: Poison Ivy Becoming More Potent [Re: billym]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I can't help but feel guilty about breathing out carbon dioxide these days.

Its not easy not being green.

#98496 - 06/27/07 12:25 AM Re: Poison Ivy Becoming More Potent [Re: Themalemutekid]
stormadvisor Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
I found out some good info a couple weeks ago! My kids found some PI in the yard (old flower bed). My youngest decided to take off his diaper...In the PI. He did not get anything!! The diaper coming off is good for potty training but a possible hard way to find out if you get PI.

I get it if I look at it wrong!

Can't change the weather. Might as well enjoy it.

#98550 - 06/27/07 03:16 PM Re: Poison Ivy Becoming More Potent [Re: stormadvisor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, duh, more CO2 is good for any plant, and warmer temps as well, so long as there is enough moisture. Did it really take a scientific study to make that conclusion? I think we were taught that sort of thing in grade school.

I suppose you could also say that as PI becomes more prolific, it is actually helping our environment because it outputs oxygen as a byproduct of its existence. Judas Priest!

So, what else can we waste money on coming to the same conclusions they did 100+ years ago?

Hmm, let's extend that postulate a little further; the more CO2 is available in the atmosphere would mean that plants have more to consume. Gee, that would mean that plants would grow better in general, thus generating more oxygen, which in turn would improve our air quality and cool the planet back down a bit. I could go on...

#98553 - 06/27/07 04:21 PM Re: Poison Ivy Becoming More Potent [Re: benjammin]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Proposal to study the effects of 0.03% vs. 0.04% atmospheric concentration of an essential-to-all-life trace gas on plant growth. FUNDING DENIED

Proposal to study how Global Warming Pollution turns posion ivy into a man-eating plant. FUNDING GRANTED P.S. Please send a stretch-limo to the airport, Al Gore is flying over to personally deliver the check.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#98595 - 06/27/07 10:32 PM Re: Poison Ivy Becoming More Potent [Re: Themalemutekid]
DougM Offline

I wouldn't know about poison ivy, (I live in CA)but there hasn't been any obvious change in the poison oak (a very close relative)in my area.

#99694 - 07/12/07 01:57 PM Re: Poison Ivy Becoming More Potent [Re: DougM]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
An Inconvenient Plant..coming to theaters near you!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 262 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.