Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#972 - 07/18/01 02:57 PM Re: Personal Kit Cheat Sheets
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
What I would like are some ideas of what information to put on these reference cards. Any Ideas<br><br>Ted Fisher<br>Vermilion County Search and Rescue<br><br>

#973 - 07/18/01 05:55 PM Re: Personal Kit Cheat Sheets
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ted,as you are in a search and rescue unit, I would have the ground to air code( l= serious injury, F= need food/water etc.), body signal codes ,Basic knots,water purification instructions for whatever product you carry, the signal of three universal distress symbol, the local constellations(by season) in your local nightsky and indicated direction, Basic first aid for hyper and hypo thermia. This is hardly complete. I try to think what I may forget,or worse mixup when fatiqued or injured, and what a complete novice would need to know. The SAS Gem and Flickbook are still the best. If I can carry a pocket kit,these small tomes are not that much more.<br><br>

#974 - 07/18/01 06:03 PM coordinates, phone numbers, health info
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
I scribble UTM GPS coordinates of important nearby places; peaks, ranger stations, road intersections... With UTM, its useful even without a GPS. Phone numbers and a list of ailments or meds would be good if you were found in bad shape. Several months ago, my grandfather had a heart attack while driving home after a stress test. Fortunately, he was able to pull into a gas station and more fortunately, he had a paper typed up listing all of his health problems, history and meds that he made for his cardiologist. This was what he handed the store clerk before he passed out. The EMTs and emergency room staff found it to be very useful. Incidently, he had quadruple bypass a few days later and has since made a full recovery feeling and acting 10 years younger! <br><br>

#975 - 07/18/01 06:27 PM Re: coordinates, phone numbers, health info
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Great Ideas I will look into these. I am also going to look up the SAS Flick book. If its already done no sense in reinventing the wheel.<br><br>Thanks<br>Ted Fisher<br><br>

#976 - 07/19/01 01:30 PM Re: Personal Kit Cheat Sheets
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Thanks for the link on UTM.<br><br>BTW, I have found Paintshop Pro to be an excellent graphics program. (http://www.jasc.com/)<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#977 - 07/19/01 02:21 PM Re: Personal Kit Cheat Sheets
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check your email<br><br>

#978 - 07/20/01 03:58 PM Re: Personal Kit Cheat Sheets
billvann Offline
Old Hand

FWIW, I found some interesting fly fishing knot images on the GORP web site. http://www.gorp.com/gorp/publishers/menasha/fis_knot.htm<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#979 - 07/20/01 04:43 PM Re: Personal Kit Cheat Sheets
billvann Offline
Old Hand

And another site with even more and some improved graphics. <br><br>http://www.leadertec.com/tips_index2.html<br><br>Also, I'm thinking of laying out my cheat sheet in columns equal to the width of the tin, print front and back, trim width and then accordian fold the long, narrow strip. I recall seeing marketing specialty handouts that use this concept for wallet sized address books. At each end they have rigid pieces that are magnetic to hold the whole bundle together.<br><br>Someone mentioned business card lamination earlier. These could be used instead with the sheet glued to them at the ends. Although this would add additional thickness and weight, it could be useful if the laminated cards held durable information that needed additional protection, such as special medical instructions. The Write in the Rain product would be durable, but still subject to tearing.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#980 - 07/23/01 03:34 PM Re: Personal Kit Cheat Sheets
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,<br>though these can't be personalized,Campmor sells a cool little set of 5-3x5 plastic cards with survival info printed in small type and illustrations. I'ts 4.99- #81328<br>JB<br><br>Expect poison with the standing water.<br> -William Blake

#981 - 07/25/01 09:12 PM Re: Personal Kit Cheat Sheets
billvann Offline
Old Hand

FYI - I've added the STOP acronym and explanation to my cheat sheet contents. Stop - Think - Observe - Plan<br><br>I'm also using the list of priorities as a guideline for what to include. <br><br>1. Medical Care<br>2. Shelter & Fire<br>3. Signaling & Communication<br>4. Sustenance<br><br>So if I run out of space, I'll cull by going backwards. For example, I might drop a diagram on how to set up a snare instead of signalling info.<br><br>Since I'm using 8.5 x 11 sheets of Write in the Rain paper, I'll get two copies (landscape) of two sided content. I have it set up to make an accordian fold of five panels (ten frames total front and back). I am also considering printing a separate credit card size page with medical information that is specific to the individual. My medical requirements are different than my son's. I will than lamintate this info to protect it. Finally, I'll glue one edge of the accordian fold piece to an edge of the medical card. This package will go into the kit last with the STOP acronym and red stop sign image right on top.<br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.