Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#98065 - 06/21/07 02:29 PM Re: Man gets fired for doing good deed [Re: Roarmeister]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Although it didn't mention it - the absolute first thing the guy should have done once he heard the gunfire and scream was to report the incident, call 911, even before investigating further.

Look at it from the cop's point of view - they arrive to a scene where they've been told that there was violence and gunfire and there behold is a guy with a shotgun. The cops would be on him in an instant, bagged and tagged and handcuffed the "good deeder" if he was lucky; shot dead in a mistaken identity if he was unlucky. Think again, did he really display good judgement?

Perhaps he should have called 911 first, but I am by no means sure of that. Equally likely: the 911 operator's SOP would be to keep the caller on the phone as long as needed to get all the details needed for response, and at the point where he heard the screams, he did not have those details. IMHO the time involved with the 911 operator would have kept him from going to the victim's aid.

As I read the article, when he saw the victim's injuries, he handed the shotgun to a bystander while he applied a tourniquet. How the bystander handled the gun when police arrived is not clear, but since there is no mention of his arrest, etc., the emergency response personnel apparently did not feel threatened by the situation. The point is, the guy who was fired can hardly be accused of brandishing a weapon, and I don't agree that he used poor judgment under the facts made public so far.

Frank 2135

#98130 - 06/22/07 03:38 AM Re: Man gets fired for doing good deed [Re: Frank2135]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Colin demonstrated extremely poor judgment in responding to this situation," the complaint said. "Colin's failure to immediately report this incident ... could have serious ramifications to the property, its associates and residents."

Just how would his calling at 2 a.m. (and probably getting a recorded message) have changed the situation?

I think the bottom line is that he was fired for simply getting involved. Pathetic.

A follow-up article said "The story hit a record on Jacksonville.com with more than 485,000 page views, and the Times-Union received more than 300 e-mails from as far away as London and Australia - all but one in favor of Bruley. Many of the responders mentioned their support for Bruley to carry his weapon."

It also said the gunshot had severed an artery in his neighbor's leg. She could have bled out in 1.5 minutes if it was a large artery (which wasn't specified).

BTW, did you notice the poll results to the question "Should Colin Bruley have been fired?"
1577 votes NO (96%)
57 votes YES (3%)

Sue

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 288 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.