JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands

1 Epirb (or cell-phone)
2 Knife (fixed-blade or folder)
3 Fire-steel
4 Poncho
5 something to cook in, like a mess-tin or billycan

I think everybody has got about the same idea on the essentials.

#97847 - 06/19/07 04:55 PM Re: What are your "core" essentials? [Re: JIM]
DLR Offline

Loc: Phoeniz, AZ
Ok, here's where I was going with this...

Many times, I talk to people who are keen on survival and get their ideas. Besides, if you can show me a better way of doing something, I'll steal your idea...

Too many times, when asked this question, some try to apply it to specific situations. Like urban or wilderness, desert or artic, on the road or off...you get the idea...They try and tailor the kit for the situation. And we know, from experience, that grabbing your BOB isn't an option sometimes. So now what?

What we have is several items now that keep coming up. Knife, fire starter, canteen, cover and some sort of cordage.

Now, How many of us EDC all of this? If you do, how?

Thoughts, ideas?

DLR

#97848 - 06/19/07 04:55 PM Re: What are your "core" essentials? [Re: JIM]
Anonymous
Unregistered

1 Fallkniven A2 Wilderness knife.
2 Thuraya SG-2520 Satellite/GSM Phone with inbuilt GPS.
3 PHDesigns Sleeping bag with Goretex outer cover
4 Swedish Army Firesteel.
5 Kelly Kettle (largest model).

#97850 - 06/19/07 04:58 PM Re: What are your "core" essentials? [Re: DLR]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Here's my 2 cents (remember batteries are useless after a few days):
So, give me your top 5 items you'd want....

1)Bolo Knife (or a big chopping knife, example:dogfather,battle mistress or machete, something durable)
2)Big Ferro rod http://www.ferrocerium.com/splashPage.hg
3)Poncho (Biggest and thickest I could find)(Not the cheap $5.00 ones that rip easy, military style works great as well)
4)32 oz Stainless Steel Bottle http://www.guyotdesigns.com/stainlessbottles?sc=11&category=-111
5)NSN #: 6605-01-196-6971 Military issue tritium Compass http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=7587

If stuck with only 5 items, this is what I would have to say.

1. My goal would be to get out and get rescued as soon as possible and I can make cordage in lue of paricord so what I chose was the compass instead of waisting time for bearings with the stick/watch method or stars the compass; I chose will work anywhere in the world (No sticking due to dip in different zones) and has tritium sites for navigating in total darkness with over a 10 years of glowing. The Epirb is great but is limited to batteries. The Epirb would be better than the compass if you knew someone would get you in 2 days but if it went beyond that I would opt for the compass. The compass will be with me until I became bear food.
Now, if I lived more up north in the cold weather, I would probably ditch the poncho and go with the EPIRB due to the poncho will only buy me minutes if not hours in the cold and I would try to make shelter in the snow by digging a small cave.

2. The big knife allows me to get firewood, make shelter, dig, clear trails, kill and clean small game, polish it for a signal mirror, make fire sticks, cordage etc..

3. Poncho for shelter andfor traveling on the rain, emergency cloths, collect water, and if you get it in bright colors you can use it for signaling and rescue.

4. I chose the 32 oz stainless steel over caring 2 items like a canteen and a cup or nalgine and a cup. ( The rules were set at 5 items and a cup and canteen are 2 items) I can boil water and carry 32 oz of water, use a steripen if I was allowed to carry it, use it for signaling by polishing the bottom, etc.. The 32 oz is a descent size for water, the more water on hand the better.

5.A big ferro rod to start fires because it's waterproof and durable and will last years of strikes. But if giving more space, I would also carry the peanut lighter as well.

I had to sacrifice the light due to the 5 core materials, but with the ferro rod, I would try to get a fire going before dusk but I would try to feel my way to a tree (in theory) and go for trying to find some tinder that is off the ground and make fuzz sticks or shave the inner bark of the tree and try to get fire this way, then go for a torch and look for sap to keep the torch going for a long time. A flash light is only as good as your batteries, that's why I carry a small hand crank one as a back up but it would not be in the core material.

#97856 - 06/19/07 05:53 PM Re: What are your "core" essentials? [Re: DLR]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I'll cheat a little!

1. Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight .7 first-aid kit
2. Adventure Medical Kits Personal Survival Pack
3. Adventure Medical Kits 2 person Heatsheet
4. Nalgene 32 oz water bottle
5. Olicamp - Space Saver Cup-16 oz.

#97869 - 06/19/07 08:50 PM Re: What are your "core" essentials? [Re: DLR]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
EDC on my person? No, at least not all of it. My personal kit is in my briefcase, and includes only about 6' of paracord and no canteen or cup (it does have folded up heavy duty aluminum foil, though, for improvising a cup/pot). It does include a lighter and a flint and tinder and various other useful items.

In my medium bag in the back of my car, I do have a couple of water bottles and about 25' of heavier cord in addition the firestarting stuff, etc., and I do have two ponchos back there as well.

Frank2135

#97969 - 06/20/07 07:56 PM Re: What are your "core" essentials? [Re: Frank2135]
cajun_kw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Southern California
1. Knife
2. cordage
3. cup
4. LED light (small)
5. E-blanket or E-poncho

Given option of specific choices, I have preferences.
1. 5" K-Bar
2. real para-cord, the more the better 20' is good start.
3. Olicamp cup
4. Photon II Micro-light
5. Heat Sheets E-blanket or E-bag.

#97991 - 06/20/07 11:53 PM drink time [Re: ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
at last, Blast, I get to drink a beer!!!!

#98000 - 06/21/07 01:37 AM Re: What are your "core" essentials? [Re: DLR]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
1. Bark River Bravo-1 knife
2. 40oz Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel, can boil water in.
3. AMK PSP as modified by me.
4. Bivanorak http://www.hilleberg.com/2006%20Products/NewBivanorak.htm
5. Ruger 10/22 rifle Stainless, synethetic stock, 2-9 wide angle scope and 1000 rd pack ammo.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 532 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.