Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#97724 - 06/18/07 01:29 AM Solar Power???
Jackpine_Savage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
I've been building a remote hunting cabin for the last year. The nearest power line is over a mile away and the cost to get the line run is prohibitive, and getting easments is a pain. So I'm looking at solar electricity instead. The prices I've found are comprable to getting the line in, but there is no cost other than maintance after that.

Does anyone use or have information on solar power systems and what to either get or avoid. Any information will be a big help. Thanks.

Take Care and Stay Safe,

#97729 - 06/18/07 03:31 AM Re: Solar Power??? [Re: Jackpine_Savage]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
It's all depends on the amount of power you're looking for. Please clarify first. But for an infrequently visited hunting cabin you'd better to consider a diesel/gas generator options (except if that's a commercial project).

#97732 - 06/18/07 03:56 AM Re: Solar Power??? [Re: Jackpine_Savage]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
One thing to keep in mind with your remote cabin (and oh do I envy you). When CA started putting solar powered call boxes on remote freeways, they had a big problem with bad guys stealing the solar panels. They still use the system, don't know how they solved the theft problem. But if anyone should stumble on to your cabin in the boonies, and have a hankering to apply solar power to their own home/cabin, you might arrive some day to find your panels missing. Not sure how to prevent that...

#97733 - 06/18/07 03:56 AM Re: Solar Power??? [Re: Alex]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Solar would probably do okay if you kept your power needs to the minimum. You would need to make a list of what you want the power for, then start researching what you need for it.

Here's some info: http://www.gaiam.com/realgoods/

Sue

#97751 - 06/18/07 11:55 AM Re: Solar Power??? [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm looking at doing similar on my parents farm in WV. Also thought about supplementing with a small windmill.
I'm planning for no 120v at all since I don't want to be running big things like A/C. Mine will be minimal for things like recharging AA batteries and such. So I'm keeping to a 12v setup and using automotive components. This way I don't need an expensive inverter or have any loss due to converting to 120v then loss again converting back down to low voltage.
If you haven't built the cabin yet, there are roofing panels you can buy, they are not cheap but you don't have to put a roof covering on first as its combined with the panels. I'm leaning toward this as it will be somehat stealthy and not look like a solar panel.

#97757 - 06/18/07 02:24 PM Re: Solar Power??? [Re: Eugene]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I have found http://www.homepower.com/ to be a good source of information. I subscribe to the magazine and the articles go in useable detail.

#98270 - 06/24/07 12:06 AM Re: Solar Power??? [Re: Alex]
Jackpine_Savage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
Thanks for the information. I found many of the links but the information was great. I'll keep you posted. My main use will be lights,small fans,and a high efficient fridge. I'm now using oil lamps and plan to put a propane stove in it. There is already a wood stove for heat. I just like the idea of not having to remember to bring fuel.

As to it being that remote, it's in my patrol area and one of my partners lives about 2 miles away and hunts there so he also keeps an eye on it. Once it snows (after deer season) the only way in is by sled (snowmobile), snowshoes, or skis. I've had to unstick my 4x4 pickup several times to learn that lesson.

Thanks again for the input.

Greg

#98279 - 06/24/07 01:43 AM Re: Solar Power??? [Re: Jackpine_Savage]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sounds like me place at the top of a mountain in WV so you walk up the hill in waist deep snow, no chance of driving up there.
I'm using all automotive components. Advantages as I see it are
1. Inexpensive, you can buy just about any kind of lights, wiring, etc for decent prices at one of the many automotive parts stores around or order in bulk from some place like waytek wire.
2. Good selection to choose from, buy from automotive stores, junk yards, etc

I'm using the same mini fuses, lights, etc that both our vehicles use so my spare parts are standardized and I can swap parts around, if there is something I replace/upgrade on my truck I might be able to use the old part in the cabin.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 540 Guests and 103 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.