Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97700 - 06/17/07 03:40 PM Drinking Groundwater From Sump Pit?
kmcrawford111 Offline
journeyman

Loc: NW Indiana
Recently I was thinking about what would happen if there was a major emergency here and what problems that would present. I thought of how I have a basement with water constantly coming in - the sump pump typically runs every few minutes! If I lose electricity, I have a battery backup, but of course it won't last a very long time (plan to do some testing to see exactly how long it will last). So if I lose both pumps, I'd be afraid of flooding and structural damage to the house. Then it dawned on me that all the water coming in could be a "blessing in disguise". I do have bottled water stored, but if there was an emergency lasting weeks I could run out. But what if I could drink the water coming into the sump? Hell, there's probably enough to cover a good section of my subdivision for drinking! So what do you think? It is freshwater, right? The water is clear. I have Katadyn Micropur tablets to purify it. I am waiting for a water test kit to arrive for my city water and plan to use it on the sump water as well.

On a related note, if you have 60 bottles of water but only enough tablets for 30 bottles (using the ratio suggested by the instructions), and anticipate needing all of the water, would you use the tablets at half strength or leave half of the water untreated?

#97701 - 06/17/07 04:29 PM Re: Drinking Groundwater From Sump Pit? [Re: kmcrawford111]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
From the sump? Sounds scary to me.

I would filter it heavily, with at least one layer of charcoal, then distill it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#97703 - 06/17/07 05:42 PM Re: Drinking Groundwater From Sump Pit? [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Groundwater in most places usually isn't suitable for drinking, but used for things like golf courses.

It can depend on what kind of area you're in: farming country (agricultural chemicals) or city (fuel, antifreeze, garden chemicals, etc). One thing you might consider is to collect a jar of it and take it in to a local lab that tests water. Your local Cooperative Extension Office could probably help you with that, or check the phonebook. Water is always being tested for something, so someone will do it. Be sure to tell them EXACTLY what you want to know, or they may just charge you $8 and do a bacterial count, assuming its from a well. And this test won't tell you what's in the water three years from now when you need it, but it will guide you in the direction you need to go, and educate you in what you might be dealing with.

IronRaven's suggestion to filter (maybe a layered sand and charcoal filter) and then distilling it sounds good to me.

Sue

#97706 - 06/17/07 08:08 PM Alternatives?? [Re: kmcrawford111]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I personally agree strongly with Susan's and Ironraven's comments!!

How about acquiring a hand-operated pump as a sump pump standby and make arrangements to catch rain water off of the roof when it rains. Treating rainwater is much easier than dealing with sump water.

My current plans call for catching the rain water from the roof.

#97761 - 06/18/07 03:04 PM Re: Alternatives?? [Re: wildman800]
scaatylobo Offline
stranger

I too believe in the rainwater theory and all you need to do is redirect the gutter water from your roof.I would be leary of the roofing shingles as they contain asbestos,tar,etc but in large enough particles to filter out.

#97814 - 06/19/07 02:18 AM Re: Alternatives?? [Re: wildman800]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Even with rainwater, I'd want to filter it somewhat. "Fallout" isn't just radioactives, it's all kinds of wonderful crud- if you're in farm country, anything sprayed by air. Anywhere, for that matter, most major metropolitan areas spray for bugs. If for nothing else, pollens people might be allergic to and bird poo.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#97818 - 06/19/07 03:06 AM Re: Alternatives?? [Re: ironraven]
kmcrawford111 Offline
journeyman

My house didn't start to get built until 2003, so it shouldn't have asbestos on the shingles, right? Wasn't that stuff made illegal long before then?

#97823 - 06/19/07 04:03 AM Re: Alternatives?? [Re: kmcrawford111]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Probably not. But they might have tar, a petrochem distillation left over, on them, or any number of things your kidneys and liver might be angry with you over.

#97826 - 06/19/07 04:25 AM Re: Drinking Groundwater From Sump Pit? [Re: Susan]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Also look at commerical test kits if your worry about water quality is long-term

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/P-Bacteria.html

http://www.pondsolutions.com/test-kits.htm

#97950 - 06/20/07 04:05 PM Re: Drinking Groundwater From Sump Pit? [Re: Chisel]
kmcrawford111 Offline
journeyman

Thanks for the rainwater idea. If anything the sump will be a last resort - I let it fill up the other day, and it looked oily on top - not too appetizing, but maybe that was from stuff that had been sitting in the tile for awhile. I'm still waiting for the water test kit to arrive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.