Topic Options
#97407 - 06/13/07 10:39 PM Re: Heat-tolerant pen [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: bentirran
A great American invention. Even I've got one. smile

Yee-haw! Something American that bentirran approves of! wink

Actually, Falcon5000's idea of using the Fisher space pen refill in a different pen is a great idea. I was never too partial to the looks of the space pen, so this idea lets me have my cake and eat it, too.

#97414 - 06/14/07 12:55 AM Re: Heat-tolerant pen [Re: falcon5000]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
These aren't using the Fisher refills. They're from the same company that makes the Sharpies. These claim to write under similar conditions and have a smoother line. The Fisher cartridges can smear a little after writing. The Uni-balls are dry within seconds. They developed a system to get similar performance at half the price. IIRC the Fisher refills are about $5 each.

Edit
I don't know about the top end of the heat range but they work at car in afternoon sun temperatures.

Edited by UTAlumnus (06/14/07 12:59 AM)

#97480 - 06/14/07 06:33 PM Re: Heat-tolerant pen [Re: UTAlumnus]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
+ 4 or 5 or whatever on the Fisher space pen. My problem with pens in the truck (in the middle of Texas) was not drying out. It was popping and the ink leaking everywhere. I even had a sharpie pop, so I wouldn't go that route. Then someone gave me a Fisher bullet pen for Christmas. I thought it was ugly and stuck it in my truck. Made a believer out of me. Still one ugly pen, but very reliable and tough.

REI has a version that looks really nice. They have the Stowaway by Fisher for $8.00, and the Inka for 19.95.
http://www.rei.com/search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&query=pen&x=0&y=0

#97524 - 06/14/07 10:12 PM Re: Heat-tolerant pen [Re: lukus]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: lukus
REI has a version that looks really nice. They have the Stowaway by Fisher for $8.00, and the Inka for 19.95.

Thanks lukus! That Fisher Stowaway seems like a great, inexpensive way to try out the Fisher.

Actually, looking at Fisher's website, I now realize that Fisher makes a whole slew of "space pens" and not just the rounded, silver bullet style. And they make universal and brand-specific refills for other company's pens, too, so it's possible that I could turn my favorite pen into a Space Pen with just a refill change. Boy, I wish I knew this a long time ago! smile

#97531 - 06/14/07 11:25 PM Re: Heat-tolerant pen [Re: ]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
The Fisher Space Pen has to be what you are looking for. After $12 million dollars development costs for the space race in the 1960s, it should be your patriotic duty to use one of these writing implements. Simply the most reliable and heat tolerant pen out there. A great American invention. Even I've got one. smile

I remember reading about the contrast between the US and Soviet space programs a while back, and one of the things they mentioned was the space pen. Kinda funny, it went something like: "After millions in research on how to create something that astronauts could use and would write in zero G under widely varying pressures and temperatures, the Americans created the Space Pen, a marvel of writing technology...the Russians had the same problem to solve, their cosmonauts used a pencil."

- Ron

#97538 - 06/15/07 12:19 AM Re: Heat-tolerant pen [Re: Be_Prepared]
Hookpunch Offline

Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
The Fisher Space Pen has to be what you are looking for. After $12 million dollars development costs for the space race in the 1960s, it should be your patriotic duty to use one of these writing implements. Simply the most reliable and heat tolerant pen out there. A great American invention. Even I've got one. smile

I remember reading about the contrast between the US and Soviet space programs a while back, and one of the things they mentioned was the space pen. Kinda funny, it went something like: "After millions in research on how to create something that astronauts could use and would write in zero G under widely varying pressures and temperatures, the Americans created the Space Pen, a marvel of writing technology...the Russians had the same problem to solve, their cosmonauts used a pencil."

I don't think the US space program actually developed the Space Pen, I believe the Fisher Company did that independently , going back to even before the space program, NASA just decided it was the best option.

http://www.spacepen.ca/cdn-english/index2.htm

Hit the history button.

Also this old rumor is addressed and debunked on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_space_pen

In any case I believe pencils are not a good idea in space as the graphite dust will float around in zero gravity playing merry hell inside a capsule.

Edited by Hookpunch (06/15/07 12:37 AM)

#97541 - 06/15/07 12:23 AM Re: Heat-tolerant pen [Re: Arney]
Hookpunch Offline

Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: lukus

Thanks lukus! That Fisher Stowaway seems like a great, inexpensive way to try out the Fisher.

Actually, looking at Fisher's website, I now realize that Fisher makes a whole slew of "space pens" and not just the rounded, silver bullet style. And they make universal and brand-specific refills for other company's pens, too, so it's possible that I could turn my favorite pen into a Space Pen with just a refill change. Boy, I wish I knew this a long time ago! smile

I recommend the the variations on the police model if you don't mind a little larger pen... I gave a friend of mine one for his graduation from police college and he thinks its great, the rubberized barrel and large circumference makes it easy to hold in the cold and with his gloves on.

As an aside and more relevant to this forum, those aspects would also make it ideal in a survival situation

BTW: I carry one of these as EDC and have one in each car, they are relatively cheap so I don't mind so much if I lose them and dependable.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Fisher-Pen-Chrome-M4C...oQQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Hookpunch (06/15/07 12:44 AM)

#97571 - 06/15/07 11:22 AM Re: Heat-tolerant pen [Re: ]
Chuck Offline
Stranger

Loc: Summerville South Carolina
The Fisher is a great pen. I own several and always have a bullet pen in my multitool pouch. However, I find that the PowerTank writes smoother, skips less, smears less than the Fisher. And, the whole pen costs about half of a Fisher refill. I have to do a lot of writing at work and keep a journal in the outdoors, for the last year the PowerTank has been my pen of choice. The only time I switch back to the Fisher is when the temperature drops below 20 degrees or so. At that point the PowerTank starts to clog up and skip.
The cheapest place that I know of to buy the PowerTank is Sam's Club on line. They have them for $1.58 each.

#97591 - 06/15/07 04:34 PM Re: Heat-tolerant pen [Re: Chuck]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
I like my Inka pen. My favorite thing it that it is very small, and fits on my keychain.

With a Fisher pen, that is "yet another thing" in your pocket. You have to rememner to transfer it when you change clothes.

My Inka is slightly more cumbersome to use, but I always have it and never have to think about it.

#97592 - 06/15/07 05:00 PM Re: Heat-tolerant pen [Re: Chuck]
duckear Offline
Addict

I really like the FSP.

It is the only choice for real Americans. wink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.