Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#97619 - 06/16/07 01:03 AM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: Blast]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Blast,
Get a topo of an area you are familiar with that has some real varying topography. Go out and constantly match features to the map.
Get to a very identifiable feature like a lake so you can pinpoint your location then start finding the nearby peaks and ridges on the map. The go to the top of a hill/ Mtn and look down matching features. Look at the map with a "wide angle" and the landscape will start to reveal itself. Also get a book like "Staying Found" and you can learn how the contour lines show peaks, valleys, ridges etc.
In time it will all piece itself together then you got to keep using it. It is also a matter of contant awareness of your surroundings; this helps a lot.
Bill

#97623 - 06/16/07 01:32 AM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: billym]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Get to a very identifiable feature like a lake so you can pinpoint your location then start finding the nearby peaks and ridges on the map. The go to the top of a hill/ Mtn and look down matching features.

Not very familiar with Texas topography are you? grin

The area around me is dead flat for 70 miles to the south, 200 miles to the north and east, and 800 miles to the west.

My choices are flat prairie or flat pine forest forest. frown

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#97626 - 06/16/07 01:42 AM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...My choices are flat prairie or flat pine forest forest..."

And yet you chose to live there... confused confused confused

#97628 - 06/16/07 02:10 AM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Find north. Go south-east. When you find a river, follow it the big salty water. Go east, following the coast. Eventually you will find civilization. Sorta. laugh

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#97638 - 06/16/07 03:35 AM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
And yet you chose to live there...

Not so much chose as was bribed whistle

Someday, Wyoming!

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#97639 - 06/16/07 03:37 AM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Find north. Go south-east. When you find a river, follow it the big salty water. Go east, following the coast. Eventually you will find civilization.

Florida? Um, no thanks...

-Blast

#97731 - 06/18/07 03:52 AM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: ]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: bentirran
Sorry if you think I having a dig at the US army. I don't know about the Boy Scouts in the US, but I do know about the UK Army Cadet force.

From the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Cadet_Force#Map_and_Compass
Quote:
Another useful skill cadets learn is how to navigate using a map and compass. Cadets gain the same skills taught to soldiers so that they can plan operations and navigate any terrain. First, cadets learn to care for and use Ordnance Survey maps (and the MOD's maps produced by DGIA (Defence Geographic and Imagery Intelligence Agency) of United Kingdom Training Areas), plot and find six-figure grid references, calculate distances between points, and to recognise various conventional signs.

The two-star map and compass course then introduces cadets to the Silva (4/6400) and Suunto (M-5N) lightweight protractor compass. Cadets learn to use and plot grid and magnetic bearings in both mils and degrees, to understand the three different types of north, to account for deviation of the grid-magnetic angle, and to understand contour lines and more advanced conventional signs.

With this knowledge cadets can draw up route cards to undertake night navigation exercises or orienteering competitions.

The three star army cadets (typically 15 to 16 years) candidates are practicing CQBs, advanced night time navigation and 15 mile route marches with 40 lb kit loads with bergens.

The four star army cadets (typically 16 to 17) are practicing advanced field craft and may be carrying again 40 lb kit loads with bergens over 20 mile routes.

[deleted by admin - you know better!]

There are a lot of things in this report that we're not privy to, don't jump to conclusions.

Edited by Doug_Ritter (06/18/07 04:24 PM)
Edit Reason: inappropriate political remarks

#97766 - 06/18/07 03:52 PM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: billym]
Meline Offline

You can even practice with almost any map.

Take road maps for instance, you can use what little terrain features they give (such as the lay of the road itself, intersecting roads, streams and rivers, and elevational map color changes) to figure out where you are and track your progress as you drive.

Try it some time if your riding in the passenger seat.

Once you get the hang of it you can use those same basic skills on more detailed maps for cross country navigation.

If you want more info on the subject another term for Terrain Assoc navigation is Orienterring and there are several books out on it.

#97829 - 06/19/07 05:50 AM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This thread was closed by one of the other moderators. I've received several PMS asking why 'I ' closed it. I've reviewed the posts.Comments on the deceased soldier's ability or possible mindset and contributing factors came from a few peers. Comments about UK cadets superior navigational skills are at best amusing, considering the paras who stumbled into the Republic and were mercifully arrested by the Gardai 5 minutes before yet another bunch showed up. I've reopened the thread because of the considerable interest. This is a warning to those who would get lost in ill conceived comments due to lack of proper drink.

#97836 - 06/19/07 01:06 PM Re: Terrain Association Quiz (picture warning) [Re: NightHiker]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Ok, so the big red "X" is a give away, but which lake are you looking at?

Lat 44.475499 Lon -115.154247 Elevation 2630m looking at an approximate bearing of 100 degrees so I would have to say Inland Lake.

Actually the picture looks as though it is taken from the trail on the side the mountain at the same elevation as the peak in the main photo rather than at the top of Ruffneck peak which is some 330 metres or 1000ft higher as indicated on the topo map.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 504 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.