Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#97331 - 06/13/07 05:42 AM Last batch of keiki & scenery pictures
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
This was our campsite. It is not meant to be hard camping, but a fun and safe place for kids and family. It was nice to have bathrooms there. In fact, the moms refuse to go if there wasn't. The cold water showers are soooooooo refreshing at the end of a hot sweaty day.

The kids went fishing and caught a lot of fish!

It rained only on the first day.

We had a year-end 4H meeting and my wife gave each of the kids a year-end gift. In fact, the bannock in a previous post had "4H" carved into it before cooking.

There was lots of eating

And playing

And music

Our camp fire

A last look at the mountains

And our customary "volcano" to end our camp. I try to teach the kids to make sure that the ashes of our camp fire are cool to the touch before we leave. But who says you can't have some fun while doing it. The kids love this. They each get a container of water and circle the fire pit. They give me the water and I drizzle it onto the hot ashes and coals. This forms a kind of vulcanian eruption with lots of steam and ash "erupting" up to 3-4 feet into the air. We keep it going until there are no more secondary "eruptions" and I show them how to check for heat. Then we are packed up and headed home.

#97356 - 06/13/07 02:03 PM Re: Last batch of keiki & scenery pictures [Re: aloha]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Wow. That is all that I can say, Wow. We are currently in some really pretty country, but it can't hold a candle to that...

#97400 - 06/13/07 09:14 PM Re: Last batch of keiki & scenery pictures [Re: NightHiker]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Mahalo guys. The important thing is not only did I have a good time, but all the kids and families did too. Most all of the families that have been joining us were originally first timers and now they keep coming back.

I feel really good about getting more folks to enjoy the outdoors. The only concession so far is the moms will only go where there is a bathroom, even though they have gone in the bush before on hikes.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (dougwalkabout), 521 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.