Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9714 - 10/02/02 09:06 PM Military Cot
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know a trick to erecting the military cot? I'm going on a Puff-Up campout with my two boys this weekend and have had a heck of a time getting the first one together. But they are tight, and comfortable. The two end crossmembers have bushings on one side and are blank on the other. I'm wondering if the bushing side is for when the material stretches a little after use. Then it will tighten back up. Any tips appreciated.

#9715 - 10/03/02 02:59 AM Re: Military Cot
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Assume you're using aluminum framed, nylon covered US Military cots. You're missing bushings on one side OR you're looking at the holes for the support poles for the mosquito bar. It is also possible that some kind soul has pressed bushings into the WRONG holes. Using the un-bushed holes WILL eventually shear off the nylon nubs on the ends of the rails. These cots can be a beast to put together until you learn the tricks, especially if they have not been erected for a while, but it is never impossible. If you're trying to assemble into the wrong holes, it can be dang near impossible to put it together. Study the parts closely and I'm confident you can figure out what's amiss.<br><br>HTH,<br><br>Tom

#9716 - 10/03/02 03:16 PM Re: Military Cot
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your assumptions are correct Tom. They are new U.S. Military aluminum nylon cots. The bushings are correct, and they are a beast. I slept on one for 6 months in Korea but only put it together once, with the help of a fellow Marine. I'm going to build some sort of tool for this feat.<br><br>Regards<br>Bruce

#9717 - 10/03/02 05:52 PM Re: Military Cot
Anonymous
Unregistered

You have choices. One is to use about three people to stretch the material until the cross members fit. The other choice is to use one cross member from another cot and use it to leverage the cross members. The rubber on the cross member must fit over the plastic piece that sticks out from the cot. Be carefull not to break the plastic piece off as they are very weak.

#9718 - 10/04/02 08:35 PM Re: Military Cot
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's been years since I set mine up and I can't remember exactly how I overcame the tension in the nylon, but I remember it was a struggle. I think I may have set it up as far as I could, leaving one cross-member off, then laid in it for a while to catch my breath, and that may have stretched it out a little and made the last step easier. <br><br>One thing I do remember clearly is that by putting 2 thermarest air mattresses on top of it made it very comfortable - I've rarely slept better (if you can believe that!).

#9719 - 10/05/02 11:33 PM Re: Military Cot
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
The last time I slept on one of those, it was made of wood and canvas. Sometimes I feel soooo old...

#9720 - 10/06/02 01:25 PM Re: Military Cot
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought it was just me. We used to borrow that type from our shelter supplies when our SAR group had overnight excercises. Sometimes it took two people to put the end bars in place!<br><br>Chris

#9721 - 10/07/02 02:42 PM Re: Military Cot
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I always thought that the canvas would rip before we got those damned bars over those little stobs...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 292 Guests and 97 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.