Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#96971 - 06/08/07 03:34 PM Carnivorous Deer!
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
2 really big surprises yesterday.

a) A deer waded into our pond (our pond is about 220' long bu 90' wide and gets to about 4' deep at most) and started eating my wife's lilies - which annoyed her to no end, but it was interesting to watch. We've never seen that before. but then...

b) The deer suddenly stuck it's head into the water and came up with A FISH which it ATE!!!!

Now this was a double-super amazing thing to me, because I thought there were no fish at all in the pond and, well, a mean it was a DEER EATING A FISH. As it turns out, there's been reports of this happening before. We would have gotten video if my camera batteries hadn't run out the MOMENT we hit "record" - but I'm want to set up a motion-detecting webcam thing out there and maybe we'll see it again. Anyone have a "CS" mount security camera lens that they want to donate to the Dreaded Carnivorous Deer Cam project? Contact me off-list if you do!

#96976 - 06/08/07 03:54 PM Re: Carnivorous Deer! [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Sounds like the storyline of some cheesy B-movie--gentle, plant-loving deer eat grass tainted with illegally dumped toxic waste. Overnight, they turn into ferocious creatures with a taste for human flesh and rampage through the nearby town. grin

#96984 - 06/08/07 04:56 PM Re: Carnivorous Deer! [Re: MartinFocazio]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Interesting! I have never heard of any grazing animal voluntarily eating meat. I do have some vegetarian friends who eat fish, so maybe there is something deeper at work here.

And in the near-coincidence department: My wife saw two deer swim past our beach (we live on Lake Erie) this morning. Maybe they were stalking some perch.

#96989 - 06/08/07 05:26 PM Re: Carnivorous Deer! [Re: NightHiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I'm telling you, there's weirdness afoot in the water. Stop watching the skies with dread, look DOWN instead!!!
grin grin eek
-Blast

Edited by Blast (06/08/07 05:27 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#96993 - 06/08/07 05:45 PM Re: Carnivorous Deer! [Re: Frank2135]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
As far as having fish in your pond. You can't keep fish OUT of your pond. If you have a 2ft. diameter puddle that never dries up (like a spring) you will get fish in it. I've seen this dozens of times over the years and have always wondered how.

One example, we have a wet weather creek that cuts through my property. We have had a pretty extreme drought the last 3 years, and it had been almost 2 1/2 years with never enough rain to make it even trickle, no water in it at all. Late this last year the drought finally broke and it ran and filled up. This is only fed from the bar ditch alongside the road. This spring a couple of deep spots that hold water were full of small perch. I don't know, maybe their eggs dry up and can still be viable years later, like those shrimp eggs you used to get in the science kits. Other people have said fish eggs stick to the legs of wading birds (I don't buy that!) Maybe even the birds are smart enough to stock new territory by releasing fish on purpose.

Anyway, I would be more surprised if you didn't have fish in a pond that size.

#97000 - 06/08/07 06:09 PM Fish conception and alien deer [Re: Frank2135]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The "immaculate conception" of fish in ponds and streams comes primarily from bird poop. They eat the eggs and poop out what doesn't get destroyed. Birds have a rather poor digestive system.

Those deer observed swimming Lake Erie are actually "Illegal Deer Aliens/Immigrants" and are the 1st wave of the "Canadian Invasion Hoarde"! That's why the USCG breaks the ice every winter, It's a "Homeland Defensive Measure"! Remember, the USCG is not just the professionl war-fighting core that the US Navy clings to in time of war!

#97004 - 06/08/07 06:40 PM Re: Fish conception and alien deer [Re: wildman800]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
So those are fish eggs on my windshield? I've tried cavier a couple of times and thought it wasn't too bad. Maybe on a cracker, Gaack!!!

#97007 - 06/08/07 06:53 PM Re: Fish conception and alien deer [Re: lukus]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Yes, that's why seagull poop tastes so tart and tangy!! Ask any old Buoy Tender sailor, we've become experts on this subject!!!

#97021 - 06/08/07 08:08 PM Re: Carnivorous Deer/Scavenging Squirrels [Re: NightHiker]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Squirrels are rodents who live in a slightly better neighborhood than their cousins, the rats. Push comes to shove, they'll eat anything. The only reason they don't scavenge around here is because of all the bird seed they steal from the feeders in every back yard. We are talking some very obese squirrels, let me tell you.

I was talking talking about grass-eating, cud-chewing animals with hooves and no canine teeth. Then it occurred to me, mad cow disease was spread by feeding cattle a supplement that included the ground-up remains of dead, and unknown to the farmers, infected, cows. So grazing animals can eat meat or "meat by-products" (a term that has always quietly terrified me anyway).

#97037 - 06/09/07 01:37 AM Re: Carnivorous Deer/Scavenging Squirrels [Re: NightHiker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Bambi's Revenge", brought to you by the producers of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.