Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#96864 - 06/07/07 05:58 PM Hello! An introduction of sorts.
flylow Offline
stranger

Loc: Texas
Just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself.
My name is Phil, I live in the DFW area of Texas and I have developed an interest in living my life in a little more prepared fashion. I'm told having a kid will make you lean that way.
Anyway, I have some experience with camping and firearms (just enough to be a danger to myself and others...), though I doubt I'll be able to contribute much toward the conversations. I read the posts in awe because there are just so many folks with so much experience and knowledge here. If anyone should have questions about design or photography I'm sure I can help with that. (I'm not sure how being a Photoshop whiz will help me if there's no electricity, so I'm trying to think/plan ahead.)
I've been lurking for a little while, just joined and thought I'd say hello.
So, hello!

-phil

#96866 - 06/07/07 06:03 PM Re: Hello! An introduction of sorts. [Re: flylow]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Welcome to the group. laugh

Pete

#96867 - 06/07/07 06:05 PM Re: Hello! An introduction of sorts. [Re: flylow]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Phil,

Welcome to the fire and thank you very much for introducing yourself! You'll find there's a lot of us Texans here including several in the DFW area.

As for photoshop skills, what do you know about making Raster images from gif and jpg files? My understanding is a Raster image can be resized without losing any image quality. I'm thinking that could be handy for making custom maps and other useful pictures.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#96868 - 06/07/07 06:10 PM Re: Hello! An introduction of sorts. [Re: Blast]
flylow Offline
stranger

I believe you are thinking of vector images. Raster refers to there being individual pixels to create an image (which gets "jaggy" when it is enlarged). Vector images use math (ohhh, scary) to define curves, so they don't change as they are redrawn. The math just makes everything proportionally larger as it is scaled.
-phil

#96870 - 06/07/07 06:17 PM Re: Hello! An introduction of sorts. [Re: flylow]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Ah yes, vector images, that's the stuff. blush
What I want to do is take detailed images from yahoo maps or google earth, mark specific areas & paths, then print them out on big sheets of waterproof material. Need to price the paper first, though.

To continue to hijack this thread, is there an cheap/easy way of stitching together a bunch of jpegs downloaded from yahoo maps? Doing it by hand is a pain.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#96872 - 06/07/07 06:29 PM Re: Hello! An introduction of sorts. [Re: Blast]
flylow Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Blast

To continue to hijack this thread, is there an cheap/easy way of stitching together a bunch of jpegs downloaded from yahoo maps? Doing it by hand is a pain.

Unfortunately, none that I know of. Everything I know about would require some sort of hand work. What software are you using? I'll ask some of the folks I work with, too.

-phil

#96874 - 06/07/07 06:29 PM Re: Hello! An introduction of sorts. [Re: flylow]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Welcome, Phil. Don't worry about being new to preparedness. You may be surprised to learn that you already know more than you think. Even personal experiences about camping or being in severe weather, etc. can add a lot to a discussion, so don't be shy about sharing if you think it'll add to the discussion. Of course, questions are always welcome.

#96875 - 06/07/07 06:30 PM Re: Hello! An introduction of sorts. [Re: NightHiker]
flylow Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
It sounds like congratulations may be in order for on a recent/soon to arrive child?

He's three, but it seems like it was just yesterday...

-phil

#96876 - 06/07/07 06:33 PM Re: Hello! An introduction of sorts. [Re: flylow]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Welcome! I have no questions about Photoshop, sadly. My brother is my go-to guy. With a major of "media/graphics design" he jokes that he did a 4-year degree IN Photoshop!

#96884 - 06/07/07 07:30 PM Re: Hello! An introduction of sorts. [Re: NightHiker]
flylow Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: NightHiker

-NightHiker, who's wife frequently accuses him of acting 3.

Yours, too?

-phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.