The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#96994 - 06/08/07 05:46 PM Re: Let's talk about Canada ! [Re: Kris]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Ohhh, some border towns take US cash and give you back US cash... Places like Windsor, etc.

Forgot to mention that in my last post.

#96999 - 06/08/07 05:58 PM Re: Let's talk about Canada ! [Re: jjmagnum]
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

Are you allowed to take a fixed blade bowie knife into Canada ?

LW.

#97006 - 06/08/07 06:49 PM Re: Let's talk about Canada ! [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
Kris Offline
Addict

Not sure... I would imagine its not an issue if going hunting. You can take a rifle into Canada so long as you do the paperwork before hand. A simple search on the their site http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/visitors-e.html should give you the necessary info.

I EDC a pocket knife for years while crossing the border daily... A couple times had to empty pockets on both sides and neither cared about the pocket knife. Its a CRKT Kiss with (i think) 2.25" blade.

For the first 6 months of working in detroit, i was keeping one of those asp batons in the door pocket on the driver side. US customs asked about it, I explained where I worked and where the parking lot is... He joked and asked where's my shotgun!!! LOL!!! (note: i'm sure its illegal to bring one of those into michigan, but he was cool about it). Since then, i always carry a 6d mag light up in the front of car, under passenger seat. Less questions.

#97008 - 06/08/07 06:55 PM Re: Let's talk about Canada ! [Re: NightHiker]
Kris Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
[quote=jjmagnum]BCH;

Other than the border crossing, exchange rate and the whole metric thing, visiting Canada is a whole lot like going to Minnesota. grin - I've never been to eastern Canada though.

If you want an adventure... Go to Newfoundland. Big rock in the Atlantic ocean. Beautiful senery, ice burgs in the harbours during summer, and every town has their own accent! I'm not talking a slight difference, i'm talking like a whole new accent! If you see all the villages there, we are talking hundreds of different accents!!!

But you'll never find nicer people. If you get into the rural places, strangers will ask you to come in for a beer. If there is none in the house, they'll run to the store while your waiting. Every weekend is like thanksgiving but with double or even triple the food, and a big party afterwards.

Its it own world!

#97009 - 06/08/07 07:00 PM Re: Let's talk about Canada ! [Re: Kris]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...i now live in a tax free island far away from any snow and cold!!!..."

You lucky dog you!!!

#97011 - 06/08/07 07:03 PM Re: Let's talk about Canada ! [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Nope, best thing to do is go into a bank near the border on the US side and trade your dollars for loonies, toonies, and bills. And to keep things as simple as possible, use your credit card as much as you can...

#97013 - 06/08/07 07:07 PM Re: Let's talk about Canada ! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Kris Offline
Addict

ODB,

It took lots of effort to get where I am now, and no way am I moving back to North America unless I have to.

Nice small caribbean island, if it goes below 70f in the winter I pull out my jacket. That to me is cold!

Yes, spoiled i am... but to be able to go sailing anytime, or go for a scuba dive during a lunch break, its a good life.

The tax free part isn't really true. There's no income tax or country/state/provical tax... but there is duty on the stuff that comes in. That can't be avoid, but still definitly worth it. Cost of living is high and no income tax... it works out to be the same in the end.

#97014 - 06/08/07 07:08 PM Re: Let's talk about Canada ! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Kris Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Nope, best thing to do is go into a bank near the border on the US side and trade your dollars for loonies, toonies, and bills. And to keep things as simple as possible, use your credit card as much as you can...

I agree with the Credit Card. Some of the best interest rates you can get are thru Credit Cards.

Local currency is always good, but your golden with plastic!

#97016 - 06/08/07 07:10 PM Re: Let's talk about Canada ! [Re: Kris]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

We took a shotgun with us, not a bit of a problem. Downloaded the forms in advance, took them into the border crossing office, they went out to inspect the weapon (has to be in a locked container, separate from the ammo), took $25 from us, and we were on our way. They did make us throw a couple of apples we had away...

#97018 - 06/08/07 07:16 PM Re: Let's talk about Canada ! [Re: Kris]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Have you checked out the cemetary @ The Caymans yet? The cemetary tells it's own story!!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 515 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.