The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#96690 - 06/05/07 11:01 PM Photon X-Light Micro
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
http://www.photonlight.com/X-Light-Micro-Keychain-LED-Flashlights-p/xm-keychain-led-flashlight.htm

Bought it just a couple of weeks ago. Very satisfied! It has exactly the same Smart Circuit features as the famous on this forum Photon Freedom Micro.

Pros:
- I like the shelfs above and below the LED, they're mechanically protecting the "bulb" and somewhat - your eyes from the direct light;
- Very easy to open without any tools to dry it out or to replace the batteries;
- Glow in the dark button;
- I like its shape more than Freedom's (concave sides vs convex);
- It was reported noticeable brighter than the Freedom Micro, 45 lux vs 18 lux, and also has a wider usable beam (see here
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/lri_xlight.htm , compare to the freedom micro here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/photon_freedom.htm ).
- It's more than twice cheaper ($8.95 vs $19.95);

Cons:
- It's heavier 0.4 oz vs 0.25 oz (unnoticeable anyway);
- Larger size compared to Freedom;
- Not waterproof at all (will try to improve that with silicon caulk);
- There is no accessories included, and it's not compatible with the hands free, multi-purpose Photon Clip (I'm going to use the plenty of spare space in the corners of its case and insert some neodymium magnets to make it stick to metal).

#96692 - 06/06/07 12:35 AM Re: Photon X-Light Micro [Re: Alex]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Alex,

I have never really liked the micro keychain lights powered by 2016 lithium cells due to the cost of long term ownership and their poor overall performance.

It terms of ergonomics, weight and usefulness both the LRI Xlight and the Freedom Micro are actually poor performers compared to other solutions. Although the Xlight is 3 times brighter using a very good Nichia LED the battery time I suspect would be just over an hours use compared to the Freedom Micro 3 hours use.
Taking into account the 2016 battery costs also compared to a rechargeable AAA Eneloop cell for example. 1 hours use for X-light is going to cost $2.00 (assuming each 2016 cell costs $1.00 each).

I personally would use a Fenix LOD CE flashlight with an Eneloop AAA cell or lithium AAA cell both on a keychain or even in a small tobacco tin type PSK, just because of the extraordinary performance no matter the cost of initial ownership (though the long term costs of ownership are actually less after say about 20-25 hours use when compared to the 2016 powered X-light). The Fenix flashlight weighs in at just over the oz mark (with a Lithium AAA cell) and is just slightly larger, its performance is just nothing short of amazing being brighter than a 3D Maglite for 1 hr NiMh (1.5 hrs with a Lithium AAA), and more light output than a 2D maglite for more than 3 hrs NiMh (4hrs with a lithium AAA). On its lowest power setting it will last more than 8 hrs at the same light output as the X-light making it more than 3 times more efficient if overall weight differences are accounted for. Also in an emergency replacement cells are much more readily available than the 2016 cells. Although the initial cost of ownership is around $45 for the Fenix it makes much more sense in the long term than any 2016 powered light. 2016 powered lights may be useful for certain tasks but when the chips are down I would rather have the flexibility of the Fenix LOD CE.

Edited by bentirran (06/06/07 12:38 AM)

#96697 - 06/06/07 01:48 AM Re: Photon X-Light Micro [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We bought a pair of them last year at Cabellas on the way to a camping trip. One failed while on the camping trip and a week or two later the switch stuck on the other and the battery went dead. I vowed to never again buy a coin cell light, will be nothing but AA or AAA powered for me.

#96698 - 06/06/07 02:44 AM Re: Photon X-Light Micro [Re: ]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Well, I'd agree with all of that in general (bentirran). But I've been carrying the round flashlight MAG Solitaire at work, with the original bulb upgraded to Tektite LT-3 UB LED thing. The exact purpose of the upgrade was the possibility of complete consumption of the partially discharged AAA batteries, left from the other toys. It works nice, but I don't like its size for EDC. I saw Fenix LOD CE, and yes, it's a bit shorter, but noticeable bigger in diameter than MAG. I needed something to keep it comfortable on a key ring in my pants pocket. So, a flat flashlight with shielded bulb had the best fit.

Another thing I like in the 2016 based flashlights is the simplicity of the battery holder. It's easy to attach a couple of wires from an external power source to power the LED circuit. 5-6 Volt is very common in modern electronics. So I'm trying to have all of my gadgets powered in this range. Try that with any AAA flashlight.

Regarding the batteries. My job is IT guru. All of the dead PC's ends their path in my office. They use 2016 batteries for the BIOS power, so I have an unlimited supply for now smile

By the way, the rechargeable coin cell batteries do exists in the nature: http://www.saveateagle.com/b-332.html?ovchn=OTHER&ovcpn=Froogle&ovcrn=B-332&ovtac=CMP

Edited by Alex (06/06/07 02:46 AM)

#96699 - 06/06/07 02:50 AM Re: Photon X-Light Micro [Re: Eugene]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the warning. I have a bad feeling for the switch reliability too. Sure thing, I'll post here when and if mine breaks smile

#96700 - 06/06/07 03:27 AM Re: Photon X-Light Micro [Re: Alex]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I could never get my brain around the Tektite mod for the Solitaire. A $20 mod for a $6 light.... OK, it is brighter and the battery life is better and you don't have to worry about the bulb. But still. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#96702 - 06/06/07 03:43 AM Re: Photon X-Light Micro [Re: ironraven]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

I was just too greedy to throw away AAA's depleted to 1.2V cry Each could work with this LED for about a week of a typical occasional use at work.

#96720 - 06/06/07 06:43 AM Re: Photon X-Light Micro [Re: Alex]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
These are great and cheap at a buck each. Cheaper than batteries. They are bright and last a good long time.

We give them out in our kids' party grab bags with a bunch of other goodies. Funny that the kids tend to gravitate towards and play with the lights more than the other stuff.

Our kids have one of these lights and a whistle attached to them when we are camping and hiking. I use them as zipper pulls on packs. I give them to clients for keychain use. I have used these for a couple of years now and haven't had one run out of batteries yet. I used to prefer the Inova ones, but these are just as bright and are much less expensive. My kids have drained an Inova microlight in one night's play.

#96721 - 06/06/07 07:37 AM Re: Photon X-Light Micro [Re: aloha]
LED Offline
Veteran

These 99. cent lights (scroll down the page) are also nice giveaways and cheap enough to put one in every bag just in case. I just listed them as an alternative to the slide switch type aloha mentioned. I have both types and so far I like the squeeze lights better. Not to mention, in my experience the plastic swivel piece on the slide switch lights tends to break rather easily. But really, they're both a good deal.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=133

#96725 - 06/06/07 11:35 AM Re: Photon X-Light Micro [Re: LED]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I carried a solitaire for many years as an EDC light. Wore the finish off completely so its now bare aluminum. I finally bought an ARC AAA. An AAA light isn't too large for ECD, its longer than a coin cell light sure, but not as wide, its about the same length at the key for my truck so it lays nicely beside it in my pocket and takes up less room than a coin cell light did.
I'm powering mine with an AAA Sanyo Eneloop now as my HP calculator takes 3 AAA's so I have an extra from its pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.