Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#96397 - 06/02/07 02:45 AM Re: People aren't prepared for hurricanes [Re: Eugene]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Back to the RV BOV idea...

#96401 - 06/02/07 03:40 AM Re: People aren't prepared for hurricanes [Re: picard120]
hercdoc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Having grown up in L. A. (Lower Alabama) my family was always prepared for hurricanes (we never evacuated and the first one I remember was Camille that hit Mississippi). After running off and joining the Air Force for twenty years I moved back with family and built a house in 2004. We started preparing as soon as we moved in at Easter time and of course Ivan hit in September of '04. I'm 25 miles due north of Gulf Shores, Alabama and I feel I am fully prepared for another direct hit like Ivan. When Ivan was on the way I bought a generator and it made life so much more easier because the power was out for 7 days after it hit. I was able to run my water well pump, freezer, a few lights and the ceiling fans in each room. I hooked it directly in to my meter with the electrical head removed and no chance of electricity flowing back into the line.
I keep in stock two weeks worth and rotate out my gas, water, batteries, food, (and beer) and I have several cases of MREs left over that were distributed by our volunteer fire department after Ivan. I keep on hand two extra propane tanks for my grill and crawdad cooker.I had a GenerLink device installed into my electrical meter last month so that I can hook up my 7550 watt Generac portable generator into my house wiring. It cost a few bucks but it will be worth it when the power goes out after the next hurricane.I wanted to get the GenerLink installed to safely run my generator and necessities in the house to ensure the wife and kids were kept happy and comfortable (If momma ain't happy, nobody's happy!).
All of this preparation came in handy during Katrina, even though we did not take a direct hit. I do not evacuate because my wife is a nurse at a local nursing home and she must be there during every hurricane. My children and I batten down the hatches and ride out the storm. Hopefuuly this year will be like last year!! Nothing

#96421 - 06/02/07 01:48 PM Re: People aren't prepared for hurricanes [Re: hercdoc]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...crawdad cooker..."

Gotta love it!!!

#96424 - 06/02/07 03:37 PM Re: People aren't prepared for hurricanes [Re: picard120]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: picard120
Originally Posted By: Kris
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
nothing prepares you to see a ~40' shipping container flying through the air, by your window when your on the fourth floor of an office building.

eek eek eek

Suddenly my 5/8" plywood seems flimsy.

Yup. I saw a coconut go thru a roof (think winds were north of 200 mph at that point). Keep in mind, it was a old caymanian house with a tin roof, but still a sight nevertheless!.

After Ivan (things on this island are refered to 'Before Ivan' and 'After Ivan'), all this new construction took place, hurricane shutters are almost standard on new construction, and proper windows, etc.

If I had the money, i'd go for the steel shutters that roll up, and are controled electronically (like garage door) for every window and door. But the wife frowns upon things that are ugly on the house!!!!

But that experience taught me about how I would build my home if I go back to north america... Have a concrete safe room at least 15' above ground, don't need a basement, and jack that house UP (flooding can happen any time from anything), the house will be concrete (canadian company does poured concrete walls for homes inbetween two forms that eventually become part of the house), etc. I can go on and on... and on... ;-)

is it legal to build a concrete safe room? would city law enforcement object to building it?

Not here in Cayman Islands, and i'm quite sure not in Canada - could be wrong(engineer in old life and something like that would of stuck out in my mind). But down here, you can get a construction crew to build a hurricane safe rooms (for a nice price point), where usually your third bedroom or office is concrete block on all walls, floor (not sure of ceiling, but assuming it is), then usually a quite strong door with solid locks.

#96440 - 06/03/07 12:41 AM Re: you can lead a .... [Re: DBAGuy]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
That's because we keep rebuilding the place for them & never make them change the design to seriously stand a chance of surviving a direct hit. The next time we rebuild someplace like the Gulf Coast it should be to seriously reworked building codes.

Edit.

It needs to require built in shutters on the coast & east sides among other things. IIRC some codes in FL require built in generators in new construction.

Edited by UTAlumnus (06/03/07 12:45 AM)

#96467 - 06/03/07 03:05 PM Re: People aren't prepared for hurricanes [Re: picard120]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I work at a pretty young company. Most of the people are 20's and 30's. I tried to convince some of the friends I had, they should have a minimum emergency kit. Extra food and water. Mostly for electrical interruptions, or problems that could delay supplies for a day or two.

They felt they didn't need it. "The store is nearby". Every time I go shopping, they always seem to only have about 6 24 packs of water in the store. The shelves could easily hold like 50. They'll depend on the store and water from the indoor pipes.

I also mentioned skills like First Aid and CPR (not real useful in a disaster) to one person in particular. He told me "you have to be interested in that kind of thing" and he wouldn't take it. I asked him would he help someone who was injured? He said "yes". I asked, wouldn't you want to know what is the right thing to do? He said he'd do his best.

Scares me. The Good Samaritan law might just protect him.

I moved out of Florida to Connecticut, and I can already see the difference. Things are soooo much different up here. My "kit" has gotten bigger for a longer time without stuff.

Hope a CAT 3 or 4 hurricane never hits Long Island.

#96473 - 06/03/07 05:01 PM Re: People aren't prepared for hurricanes [Re: ki4buc]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Hope a CAT 3 or 4 hurricane never hits Long Island

Maybe you should point out to your work colleagues the Long Island Express

From the Website

Quote:
New Yorkers give little thought to hurricanes since Long Island is so far from the warm, tropical oceans that feed hurricanes. However, according to the 1984 Hurricane Damage Mitigation Plan by the Long Island Regional Planning Board, several hurricanes and 15 tropical storms have made landfall in this area since 1886. According to historical record, there have been five "epic hurricanes" (Category 3 or higher on the Saffir Simpson Scale) in the years 1938, 1893, 1821, 1815, and 1635 (Hughes).

An empirical study of 20 past hurricanes that have impacted the New York City and Long Island coast regions by Scheffner and Butler (1996) found that the return period of a category 3 or greater hurricane is approximately 80 years. A strong category 3 or minimal category 4 hurricane has a return frequency of approximately 200 years. (Click graph to the right for larger image.) Therefore, it is not unlikely that another "epic" hurricane will strike the Long Island coastal region in the coming decades.

The results of a cat 3-4 storm if it struck New York would be even more catastrophic.

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20061024/

Edit - *** How Bizarre!! The main graphic showing the inundation of the New York Area has become just a cross since being first posted ***

Edited by bentirran (06/03/07 06:32 PM)

#96498 - 06/04/07 12:05 AM Re: People aren't prepared for hurricanes [Re: ki4buc]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: ki4buc
I work at a pretty young company. Most of the people are 20's and 30's. I tried to convince some of the friends I had, they should have a minimum emergency kit. Extra food and water. Mostly for electrical interruptions, or problems that could delay supplies for a day or two.

They felt they didn't need it. "The store is nearby". Every time I go shopping, they always seem to only have about 6 24 packs of water in the store. The shelves could easily hold like 50. They'll depend on the store and water from the indoor pipes.

I also mentioned skills like First Aid and CPR (not real useful in a disaster) to one person in particular. He told me "you have to be interested in that kind of thing" and he wouldn't take it. I asked him would he help someone who was injured? He said "yes". I asked, wouldn't you want to know what is the right thing to do? He said he'd do his best.

Scares me. The Good Samaritan law might just protect him.

I moved out of Florida to Connecticut, and I can already see the difference. Things are soooo much different up here. My "kit" has gotten bigger for a longer time without stuff.

Hope a CAT 3 or 4 hurricane never hits Long Island.

yeah. That is the common attitude for most people. They just don't care if they get kill in hurricane. They think hurricane will just pass by in 1hr and why bother to prepare for it.

#96626 - 06/05/07 03:11 AM Re: People aren't prepared for hurricanes [Re: ]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I had been asking for that I even asked DEMHS for Connecticut for something like it. They didn't have one. The do have SLOSH projections.

I did tell some of them that tens of thousands of people would die in the NYC if a CAT 3 or higher hurricane hit. They seemed surprised. Uh, with the density of the area, and already "normal" rush hour traffic. No one is going anywhere. I would think that evacuation times must be on the order magnitude of minimum 7 days or something. I mean, it takes people like 2 hours to get 50 miles during rush hour.

*shrugs* I'll do what I can to preach, but it's just like religion, if they don't want to be saved, they won't listen until it's too late. cool

#96677 - 06/05/07 06:34 PM Re: People aren't prepared for hurricanes [Re: ki4buc]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi ki4buc,

If a Cat 4 hurricane struck New York, it would be one of the most catastrophic events in US history. 9-11 and New Orleans would pale into insignificance in terms of the death toll and property damage. The worrying thing is that the chances of this event happening even this year are better than not successfully playing Russian Roulette with a well oiled pistol.

Edit **I have found a new location for the New York Inundation Graphic SLOSH projection.**

Edited by bentirran (06/05/07 10:07 PM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 457 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Today at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.