Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#96241 - 05/31/07 10:41 PM So you got more than one knife?
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
What is your prefered method for storing knives you don't use and do you have some tips on maintaining them? Is it better to store linerlocks open and lockbacks folded as I've read somewhere? Do you apply a film of colorless wax on them?

What do you use to prevent corrosion? At first one thinks of oil but it's sticky, it stains the furniture and also eventually evaporates. Do you use silicone spray that you find in the vehicle section of department stores? I'm aware of Tuf-Cloth dry protectant from Sentry Solutions but it's not readily available here. And once you apply stuff like silicone, should you wash it before say, peeling a fruit with it?

How and when do you use Gun Blue? Is it mostly for carbon steel once they lost their coating?

Once you've cleaned and dried a folder like a Spyderco or a multitool (and removed particles with a can of compressed air for example), do you put some drips of oil on the pivot and where else on a lockback?

Thanks
Frankie

#96245 - 05/31/07 11:38 PM Re: So you got more than one knife? [Re: Frankie]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I have a whole lot of knives.
Most simply live on a shlef when not being used. I sometimes rub the blade down with a product like tuff cloth. I rarely lube my knives. If they get wet I make sure they are totally dry before storing and maybe add a little lub to the pivot.
I find if a folder is clean and dry it does not require much in the way of lube. Most blades of mine are stainless.
I have never heard before that folders should be stored any other way but closed.
Some folks keep their fixed blades out of the sheath to avoid pitting.

#96247 - 05/31/07 11:55 PM Re: So you got more than one knife? [Re: billym]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Like billym I have a lot of knives. I have a few that are stainless but most are various grades of carbon steel. I don't oil my knives because I use them a lot for skinning and butchering game. If I am somewhere that I think they might rust because of humidity I coat them with corn or vegetable oil and allow it to dry (use two or three coats). When thickly coated and aloud to dry it forms a coating that will not allow the blade to rust and won't affect the leather of your sheath. It will last for at least a year (the longest I have kept one coated) and washes off easily with hot water. As for my folders I store them folded. If I do get some rust on my blades I use a plastic scouring pad and corn oil again to polish out the rust.

#96249 - 06/01/07 12:17 AM Re: So you got more than one knife? [Re: raydarkhorse]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
I haven't stumbled on corrosion as a problem with my knives, but, they are all of reasonably decent quality stainless. I have had corrosion problems with axes and mauls, but, usually I find that surface rust will get scraped off after splitting a few logs.

One problem I had with folders that I used to clean fish or dress game was the, ummm, how to say this nicely, nasty gross stuff that grows inside the slot if I am not good about cleaning them soon after doing my work. One time, I went out to my boat and thought something had died inside it. My Buck folder had a bunch of green and white slime growing out of it after it was used to clean a cooler full of striped bass on the boat, and then sat out on the boat for over a week under the canvas on some nice hot days. It looked like a creature from a cheap horror flick. I'm glad I found it before my wife came on the boat, that could have been ugly.

I've been better about doing a good fresh water rinse after use ever since...

- Ron

#96257 - 06/01/07 01:24 AM Re: So you got more than one knife? [Re: Be_Prepared]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I usually use a very light bleach solution when a knife gets to cut the lively stuff like fish and game.

The worst thing ever was when a buddy used my knife at a BBQ in the local park. He managed to get some kind of soft cheese inbedded in every available crevice including the Axis lock and the screw heads. shocked
I hate lending my knife out to almost anyone but folks get wierd when you refuse. Maybe I need to hang with some PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. who want nothing to do with my blades.
In fact one of my bosses always make jokes about me and my EDC but then at every tradeshow all I hear is "Bill, got your knife?" He always dulls the crap out of them so last time and hence forth I bring a KA BAR Dozier along for him to trash. Funny thing is the AUS -8 blade takes a lickin' and then sharpens up real fast with the Sharpmaker.

Edited by billym (06/01/07 01:25 AM)

#96259 - 06/01/07 01:27 AM Re: So you got more than one knife? [Re: Be_Prepared]
ssbauer Offline

Loc: Ohio
I put my carbon blades in hot vinegar. Gives it a nice patina which they will get if you use them. It helps protect against corrosion.

I do not really collect knives. I used them, retire them but never throw them away. I do collect dust, which I find is easier and cheaper...

#96261 - 06/01/07 01:29 AM Re: So you got more than one knife? [Re: Be_Prepared]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Geez, we can't say you suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder about your knives by reading a post like that...

#96268 - 06/01/07 01:55 AM Re: So you got more than one knife? [Re: Frankie]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oil them lightly then wrap them in a length of cotton cloth. Use some twine to tie the cloth closed and the sheath to the bundle. A chunk of bedsheet works fine. Store them someplace dry.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#96280 - 06/01/07 02:39 AM Re: So you got more than one knife? [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Stainless blades are stored clean and dry. Carbon steel gets a light coat of oil, excess is wiped off and then they're stored clean and dry. Depending on the knife, some of the carbon steel blades get the vinegar treatment, others are blued and others are left white.

#96284 - 06/01/07 03:03 AM Re: So you got more than one knife? [Re: Be_Prepared]
jmarkantes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
I know what you mean about the folders collecting gunk. I was cleaning ducks for a while with whatever folder I was carrying, but finally had to carry a fixed blade that was a LOT easier to clean afterwards. What's nice about that too is it got me in the habit of having more than one knife in the field- folder on me, fixed in the bag.

Of course, just out of tradition any new knife I get has to clean one bird, even if it's not the most appropriate blade for it. The Ritter Mk3 did surprisingly well actually, but I wouldn't use it exclusively (for bird cleaning).

To get to the point of the post, my knives are all piled in my camp box. However they're all stainless so that hasn't been an issue. I have noticed that one Kershaw liner lock is a little stiff after a couple years of not using, and the lock itself where it contacts the blade while closed is a little stained. Wouldn't be surprised if, even in a stainless steel knife, the liners are not stainless.

J

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 552 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.