Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#96104 - 05/30/07 08:10 PM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket dam [Re: digimark]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
+1 on the heat shrink tubing. Works great.

#96119 - 05/30/07 10:31 PM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket dam [Re: billym]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: billym
I have had a BSA Hot Spark on my keys for over a year with no protection and no damage.
I think the sheath may not be necessary at all IMO.
It is just one more step (removing it) before you get to fire.

+1

I keep a ferro rod from a Strike Force in my pocket with other junk. I does not cause any problems.

The real danger is getting it wet. Once wet it will corrode and get pitted. If your pocket gets wet you need to protect the ferro rod.

#96120 - 05/30/07 10:35 PM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket dam [Re: NightHiker]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: KenK
A few weeks (months?) ago I made the tough decision to remove the Hot Spark's metal striker blade from my key chain, figuring it reduced the pocket load and that I'd find something to strike with if needed - I hope.

The only thing I use the striker that comes with the Hot Spark for is testing right after purchase (ok, actually playing around with it, but I call it testing) then I toss it aside. I always carry at least 2 other items that I've proven will produce sparks. I'd recommend sitting down with your gear and see what will work and what won't. I was somewhat surprised to find that I have an older military lensatic compass that's compatible with my Hot Spark.

I had my sons take their ferro rods and try all the blades on their knifes so they would know what works best before they really need it. Some things that seem like they would work did not, etc. However, the back of a saw blade is sure to work.

#96130 - 05/31/07 12:55 AM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket dam [Re: digimark]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
You may be interested in an even smaller and lighter version of the Firesteel as posted here.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...arting_kit.html

#96131 - 05/31/07 01:08 AM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket dam [Re: Roarmeister]
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm going to try the nail varnish first, since my wife has it already. Plus it would seem to lead to the smallest profile on my keys vs. heat shrink tubing.

Thanks for the lead Roarmeister -- wish I'd known about the smaller version before I bought this one.

I find the three thousand strike claim funny for this purpose -- I'm only carrying it for the random emergency -- it would work fine if it was totally reliable for ten fires, for instance. But more is always good, right?

#96133 - 05/31/07 01:15 AM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket dam [Re: Craig_phx]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...the back of a saw blade is sure to work..."

The teeth of a hacksaw blade work even better. The rod won't last as long, but if you really want/need some sparks, use a sawblade...

#96141 - 05/31/07 01:55 AM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket dam [Re: OldBaldGuy]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...the back of a saw blade is sure to work..."

The teeth of a hacksaw blade work even better. The rod won't last as long, but if you really want/need some sparks, use a sawblade...

Hit the teeth on a grinder or with a file just enough to dull it but leave the teeth. Still gives more spark but won't tear it up as bad as sharp teeth.

#96146 - 05/31/07 02:12 AM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket dam [Re: digimark]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: digimark

I find the three thousand strike claim funny for this purpose --

If you're only keeping it for emergency use, sure. But I carry mine to light most of my fires. I keep mine uncoated in my pants pocket for that reason. I like to be able to just pull it out and start. Then again, I don't keep mine on my keychain. If I did, I'd probably be more concerned with wear and tear.

#96156 - 05/31/07 04:44 AM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket dam [Re: digimark]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
So you have decided to go with nail polish. Good Choice. The first scrape or two and it peels right off and you start sparking.

But even if anyone choses heat shink. Here is a suggestion. Go with a color like royal blue or any other bright blue color.

Why you might ask? Blue other than water, sky and the occasional flower is hard to find in nature. Even the neon pinks, greens and yellow let alone red can be very hard to spot in grass or fallen leaves. Try it sometime with various colored objects especially something as small as a fire steel. This vanishing act is more prevelent at various times of year or different settings.

But a bright blue being a more unnatural color will supply more contrast if it is dropped or layed aside.

Why take chances.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#96164 - 05/31/07 10:44 AM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket damage. [Re: digimark]
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
Im keeping mine in my Military uniform (left hand pant-pocket). It has never ignited (carriet with a box of matches in plastic bag, and a erazer (pencilrubber, sorry about spelling, Im Swedish). Although its coated to prevent corrsion, it needs quite some force to ignite. So IMHO its quite safe. But carry a sharpening stone for the knife ot break of a pece of hacksaw blade to spare the knife blade, attach to the fire-steel with a lanyard.

An untried idea though is to pull a tube of rubber material (surgical tubing) over or plain electricians tape around it...

/Stefan, Sweden [Europe]

Edited by Stefan (05/31/07 10:45 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 457 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.