Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#95629 - 05/25/07 10:47 PM Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product?
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KenK
Originally Posted By: harrkev
A special ETS paper bag. Non-equipped people can put this over their heads so they can't see what is going to get them in the end.

Best. Reply. Yet.

-=[ Grant ]=-

You know thats going to be in April 2008 newsletter.

#95658 - 05/26/07 04:33 AM Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? [Re: KenK]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Interesting list. Obviously, I can't comment on specifics, but some of the suggestions touch on stuff we are working on. By and large, the problem isn't coming up with ideas of things to do, I have a list a mile long, it's figuring out ways to do them that makes financial sense or works within the limitations in finances and such we must deal with. In other cases, it is limited by available capacity at potential or existing partners.

As to the issue of the knives, all I can say is if it was as easy as has been suggested, I'd have done it. Bringing a product to market is a difficult and expensive proposition. Bringing a lower-end product is even more difficult because of the large numbers involved. We don't have the resources, it can take 6 figures, and the companies that do are quite careful about what they develop and my stuff doesn't generally turn them on. Not sexy enough. I'd love to do an inexpensive line of knives, but so would lots of others.

We continue to look at possibilities and keep our options open. I appreciate all your support.

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#95673 - 05/26/07 01:32 PM Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? [Re: billym]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...The first run of original RSKs were a numbered limited run as well..."

I wasn't aware of that. If that is the case, and this new blade will probably lead to a longer production run, I am a happy camper again...

#95686 - 05/26/07 05:24 PM Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Save up for the MK4. I can not put it down and since summer is here I may even be EDCing it a bit.

This is a little knife that thinks it is a big knife. (like a Jack Russell thinks it is a big dog...).
It has a thick sturdy blade that is not reminicient of many other smaller sized knives. The slight recurve extends the cutting edge a bit and makes a nice "pocket" along the base of the blade for precision carving. This also creates a slight "belly" along the leading edge of the blade which will also aid cutting tasks.
The blade has the same high quality that the other S30V Ritter knives have and is of course razor sharp.
The Paul lock is very secure and easy to get used to and one hand opening and closing is easy to master.
When clipped to a pocket all you need to do is grasp the knife by the locking mechanism with your index finger and thumb. Pull it out of the pocket and squeeze the lock and let the handle "fall" open locking the blade in the open position.
This is my first knife with G-10; it is like micarta made with fiberglass cloth as the base material. It is smooth yet grippy in the hand.

Just a little review....

#95760 - 05/27/07 02:14 PM Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? [Re: KenK]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Oh, I finally thought of something.

In another post excellent post, Polak187 said that he much preferred a multitool over a regular knife. That got me to thinking that it would be GREAT if Doug was able to "Ritterize" a leatherman Wave or similar multitool. By that I mean add a blade that is much wider than the typical with a drop point blade.

I'd also prefer to have fewer screwdrivers (though one that fits the Brunton 15TDCL's declination adjustment is OK) and more useful tools for the outdoors - such as something like the awl with the sewing hole in SAKs.

#95770 - 05/27/07 05:22 PM Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? [Re: NightHiker]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I would like an ETS bandanna. That would be a normal bandanna of suitable size and material, printed with some information that would be useful in a survival situation. Hopefully without looking too nerdish or macho.

I appreciate it would be hard to do economically because people wouldn't want to pay a lot for it. Possibly they'd need to be sold in packs of 3 or 5 to get the price up. I should think the design and implementation would be relatively simple compared to knives etc. Currently I think the ideal size and material would be about 32" silk.

The main design issue is deciding what information to put on it. Possibilities include diagrams showing how to use the bandanna as a bandage (eg how to tie around a foot) or sling, how to use it as cordage, how to tie into a bag or sack. General survival info about fires and shelters etc. Personally I'd be tempted to include layouts for a board game such as backgammon (I think backgammon is a better game than chess and its easier to improvise the pieces).

I'd live it to include good maps, but how you would pick the area and scale?

#95776 - 05/27/07 07:40 PM Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? [Re: Brangdon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
44"x44" nomex

#95781 - 05/27/07 10:17 PM Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? [Re: KenK]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Being a great fan of Leatherman tools, I've gotta say that is the best idea I have heard yet!!!

#95782 - 05/27/07 11:28 PM Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Yeah, THAT would do wonders for the retail price shocked

Chances are, if something like that came out, it'd have to be a cheaper material to justify a reasonable price tag. Cotton might be out, maybe silk (though I've yet to understand why there are die-hard fans of it). Maybe a wool or nylon blend of some sort.

But, to play Devil's Advocate, there's already something like that out:
EDCdepot.com, click on "survival gear" then "orange blaze survival bandana" Item # SU00031

It probabaly could be improved upon though(larger, for one thing!).

#95899 - 05/29/07 08:42 AM Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? [Re: MDinana]
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Ladies Folder?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.