Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#95767 - 05/27/07 04:33 PM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glyceri [Re: Woodsloafer]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Potassium Permanganate isn't really a messy chemical to carry, a small vial carried in a Medical Kit is always useful for certain medical needs such as its use as an antiseptic etc. The idea behind this chemical reaction is really about improvisation. Take a chemical from the medical kit, mix it with some antifreeze you may have from a vehicle or some sugar etc. Mix it in a sheet of dry cloth or paper; instant fire. Same idea would be to use a battery to create a spark to ignite tinder or use with some wire wool. These techniques are certainly easier than making fire through friction fire lighting. An example would be in the film 'Castaway'. Toms Hanks character had a torch, which means he had a battery, he failed to attempt to create fire using the battery, instead ended up using the fire plough method. I know what I would have attempted to use in the first instance to make fire.

Edited by bentirran (05/27/07 04:34 PM)

#95768 - 05/27/07 04:34 PM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine [Re: Themalemutekid]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I sometimes carry some. The KMnO4 I got from a UK chemists without any difficulty, and is relatively easy to store if you can find some teeny, tiny bottles (a little goes a long way). Glycerine is also easy to buy but I found it harder to store because it seemed to leak through smaller gaps than water does. Obviously you need to have a lot of confidence in your containment because it is so dangerous (and will make your kit messy).

In use it works for fire-starting but is not really fantastic. It doesn't go as well in cold conditions. It makes a flame, but it doesn't burn for very long - a few seconds. Not as good as, say, vasaline-soaked cotton plus spark.

To be honest I have it partly for fun value as I like fireworks. Also, the KMnO4 has many other uses; as an anti-septic of varying strengths depending on dilution, and as a dye marker. It is poisonous to fish etc so you need to be careful about it getting into wild water.

#95777 - 05/27/07 07:41 PM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine [Re: GarlyDog]
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

im pretty sure i was looking for potassium per_____ when i was out, but knowing me i couldve gotten them confused. thanks for the input. <3

#95798 - 05/28/07 04:49 AM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glyceri [Re: ]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
mix it with some antifreeze you may have from a vehicle

I think that antifreeze is DILUTED ethylene glycol. It is mixed with water, so it may not burn. Just like a wet piece of paper.

About the fire starting part I agree with one poster and prefer lighters and other firestarters. Imagine yourself in a tricky situation and some LEO finds this stuff in your bag the same day he has a fight with his wife and he isnt in the mood to hear your justification.

A box of matches or pic lighter is more "every-day" thing than some fire-starting chemical in a small bottle. If you still need something multipurpose, try alcohol wipes.

#95806 - 05/28/07 08:50 AM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine [Re: nouseforaname]
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hello,

My father used potassium permanganate for as long as I can remember back to use when he had a sore throat/infections in his gums but also when during our holidays we caught a fungal infection between our toes, I think you can that athletes foot in English.
The recipe for a mouth "wash" solution was simple put 1-3 little potassium permanganate crystals in a glass of water and let them dissolve, the water had to have a very light pink/purple colour then it was OK to use.
Gurgle with it and spit out, it worked for him and my sore throat also got better when I used it.
For athletes foot, just fill a plastic wash basin or bucket with warm water and add more crystals, the water could really have a good purple colour, put your feet in and let them soak worked great. This happened as far as 40 years ago and I’ve stayed using it ever since.

I think REI used to sell a chemical fire starter or even still does, I’m not sure it used/uses potassium permanganate however.
I tried potassium permanganate and glycol myself and wasn’t successful in getting a fire going, I guess they Light-My-Fire Firesteel is still one of the best fire starters around, it never failed on me yet.

Cheers,

Bagheera

#95818 - 05/28/07 02:29 PM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glyceri [Re: Chisel]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Antifreeze is diluted ethylene glycol or diluted propylene glycol, which are both diol alcohols (has 2 OH groups). Glycerine or the other name glycerol is a triol alcohol (has 3 OH groups). The chemical reaction between all three sugar alcohols with Potassium Permanganate would be similar. I am not sure what the percentage of water in the diluted ethylene glycol is required to stop the reaction. The ambient temperature would also have an effect. What I would do if the antifreeze was quite diluted would be to add some sugar (if available) to the solution to turn it into a sugary syrup. As for the LEO finding some Potassium Permanganate during a search, I don't know, is this chemical restricted because of the its use in methcathinone production. Is Potassium Permanganate a proscribed illegal chemical in the US? Would the LEO really arrest you because you had some purple crystals in your FAK? Do you think you could bribe the LEO with a cure for his itchy toes or would get you into more trouble?. Do LEOs in the US have a sense of humour behind those silvered sunglasses smile

I completely agree with you. A box of 'every day' Lucifer matches is much more preferable than fire starting with chemicals in a small bottle. Its just that Potassium Permanganate is a really useful chemical to carry in a PSK because it has multiple uses.

#95832 - 05/28/07 05:04 PM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine [Re: Themalemutekid]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I just recently saw some Potassium permanganate at my 'water store'. I get my R.O. filters there and it was on the shelf in 'large bottles' that seemed to be be for individual sale. Don't remember the price but IIRC they were 100 % potassium permanganate. No apparent restrictions.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 508 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.