Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#9551 - 09/29/02 02:27 AM Re: Flicking my Bic
Anonymous
Unregistered

As long as you can make it work when the situation arises.

#9552 - 09/29/02 02:34 AM Re: fire lighting kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Magnesium block and flint actually have a use. I also have fought the wind with a pile of shavings and what a pain in the feeffvv when you are in a hurry. One day when I was bored at work I shaved off a film container full. You will be suprised how much will fit. I actually use it to light trick candles. 5400 degrees will light it every time.<br><br>Hunter

#9553 - 09/29/02 02:46 AM Re: fire lighting kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

On my key-chain I carry a magnesium fire-starter. I do this because it is indestructable. My pocket always has a mini-bic.<br><br>In my pack I carry the usual spark lite, vaseline cotton balls, strike anywhere matches, trioxane. <br><br>A final thought here. Many situations will leave you in cold environments without combustables to burn. All the fire-lighting in the world will be rendered useless. In this case a survival candle will keep a small shelter warm.<br><br>Take a look at Ranger Ricks idea of using one underneath a mylar blanket. I have heard these are flamable so I would keep the flame from touching the mylar.

#9554 - 09/30/02 01:24 AM Re: fire lighting kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not trying to doubt you or anything but I have used a magnessium and flint for a long time and its all about how you do it. I have mastered it. i use it so offten Id have too. You have to scrape off more than a quarter size worth and then scrape it into a leaf. Now place this under your tender and strike. and now you have a blaze. its all in the amount of magnesum

#9555 - 09/30/02 03:15 AM Re: fire lighting kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah heck, that's ok. We all got our likes and dislikes and our abilities are just as varied as there are freely given opinions. To be honest, I had better luck with cotton wool, char cloth, flint and steel than I did the mag bar, lol. Not that I've spent anywhere near enough time to master either. I can see your point that there are those like yourself that have taken the time to master the mag bar. I've been sitting on the sofa with the wife tonight scraping shavings from the bar and placing them into a film container. The wife asks what the heck I'm doing and all I can say is "Making a mess?" :o) I just figure that we gotta go with what we are efficient with and the mag bar isn't one of my best sources. I am working on it though. ;o)

#9556 - 09/30/02 03:23 AM Re: fire lighting kit
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
My thoughts were similar to yours as well regarding the lack of suitable combustables! <br><br>That's why I made up my altoids tin survival candle just for this purpose. To keep 2 - 3 people warm in a small shelter if no fuel was awailable for burning......<br><br>

#9557 - 09/30/02 05:27 AM Re: fire lighting kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Magnesium bars are not my favorite. Having said that, I do know how to use the things properly. To twist my example with the matches, what if I came upon somebody with only a magnesium bar and flint? I think I've met more people with a unused mag bar in their kits than any other item. They know as much of it's use as the G.I. pocket surgical kits that are proudly displayed next :O(

#9558 - 09/30/02 02:30 PM Re: fire lighting kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got to review my fire lighting kit too. Normally I have no problem lighting a fire with my flint and steel (and recently my swedish fire steel) until recently when i was in the forrest and coudn't mange it anymore. (I checked natural resources including small feathers, dried fungi(?) and them the lining of my pockets.) No luck. I didn't want to use matches or a lighter as I only just received the swedish fire steel. I wanted to be able to start one with that. If I couldn't than no brew for me. I went home thirsty and dissapointed.<br>Reinhardt

#9559 - 10/02/02 01:38 AM Re: fire lighting kit
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
Redundancy is a good thing but not if all your firestarting supplies are in the same place! I'd supplement your kit with redundant firestarters in other places (matches in a match safe on a key chain / carabiner, lighter in a pocket, etc.). Along with that, practice, practice, practice. I like a small cup of tea at lunch and try different methods and fuels each time (I work in the woods so it's easy for me to get in some practice time). It's especially challenging when it's raining so a thermos of hot water back at the truck comes in handy sometimes:)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.