The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9541 - 09/28/02 04:04 PM fire lighting kit
mick Offline
dedicated member

Loc: England west yorkshire
I am thinking of building a seperate fire lighting kit that will fit in a 2oz tobacco tin. The contents will be as follows:<br>1. flint & magnesium block<br>1. lighter<br>1. magnifying glass<br>20+ wind/waterproof matches<br>cotten wool<br>Hexamine<br><br>This is still in the planning stage but could you please comment on the idea and come up with additions or subtractions.<br><br>thanks

#9542 - 09/28/02 07:16 PM Re: fire lighting kit
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

soak the cotton wool in some vaseline or get some other waterproof tinder

#9543 - 09/28/02 07:23 PM Re: fire lighting kit
mick Offline
dedicated member

Thanks for the reply. Do you know anywere where I can get any water proof tinder in England, I havn't seen any of the types of tinder that Doug or Chris use?

#9544 - 09/28/02 09:01 PM Re: fire lighting kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try http://www. sofmilitary.co.uk and then look in fieldcraft > cooking for Wet fire Tinder. Just don't mistake them for boiled sweets. Of course they are in Wales....<br><br>I've never tried the magnesium block but a lot of people I have read don't recommmend them. Check out the Outdoor forum of knifeforums.com to read what people say there.<br><br>Personally I prefer the Swedish Army FireSteel, and find that I am using that for almost all of my fire lighting when out playing! I'm always looking for natural tinders, currently using Thistle down or Willowherb down because it''s in season but the thin peelings from Birch bark works wonders. The fire steel will work with hexamine too if you shave some of it to a fine powder.<br><br>Justin

#9545 - 09/28/02 09:34 PM Re: fire lighting kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Always keep a quantity of strike anywhere matches on your person. Why? Let us imagine a forum member unconscious,cold,wet and slipping into hypothermia. Now have one of their family members retrieve his kit. There is a redundant array of firemaking systems and tinders. Now, which item do you think most people will be most familiar with? Even the excellent Lifeboat matches have a unique striking angle. Metal matches are virtually indestructable and last for thousands of fires. All the other methods and tools have their place. Just make sure that first one can be started by anybody ;O)

#9546 - 09/28/02 09:39 PM Re: fire lighting kit
mick Offline
dedicated member

Thanks for the reply.

#9547 - 09/28/02 09:48 PM Re: fire lighting kit
mick Offline
dedicated member

Thanks Chris that makes a lot of sense.<br>I've only really just started thinking about the safety side of outdoor pursuits even though I've been into the since I was 10(six years)

#9548 - 09/28/02 10:51 PM Flicking my Bic
Anonymous
Unregistered

Along with Chris' post about having Strike-Anywhere matches available because of people's familiarity with them, I vote for mini-lighters, too. <br><br>I breeze through airport security without a hitch with Bic mini-lighters, whereas SAW matches could raise some eyebrows because of their incendiary qualities. <br><br>(BTW, I don't think they're sold in my state because they're considered HAZMAT. I have to get mine out of state.)<br><br>I've never had a lighter lose any fluid after being at altitude, either. <br><br>Face it, I'm lazy and would much rather flick my Bic than use a magnesium block or a Spark-Lite. :-)

#9549 - 09/28/02 11:42 PM Re: fire lighting kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with getting rid of the mag. block. All I ever managed to get to work on it in a breeze was the striker, lol. The lighter is ok to carry, but if it gets wet, it's useless. Replace the magnesium with a metal match, keep the lighter and like Chris recommends, have some strike anywhere matches someplace in your system. I carry 5 types of tender (pitchwitch, trioxane, Esbit solid fuel tab, spark-lite tender and I always carry a tin of cotton wool and char cloth with me)and 5 types of ignition (spark-lite, strike anywhere matches, storm matches, lighter, metal match w/steel) . The strike anywheres are in a film canister and have a big bright label that says matches, just in case, lol. I also carry backups so in all I have up to 8 fire kits in my various kits which combine to make up my main kit. Redundant no doubt, but I know that I'll be able to start a fire one way or another, lol.

#9550 - 09/29/02 02:23 AM Re: fire lighting kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris,<br><br>I salvaged an old Tylenol 10 pack bottle. Inside I put 2 trick birthday candles, 12 strike-anywhere matches,<br>1 small flint from a mag. block that popped out when I dropped it, and 2 Sparl-Lite tinders. This will fit inside and stay dry in a downpour. I submerged it for 12 hours and finally got a little water in. But most of the matches would lite. I used to have Coghlan tinders in the kit, but after a while the matches soaked up the solution from the tinder and would not light. I really like the Coghlan tinders for they burn longer. My only solution is to invert the matches.<br><br>Hunter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 549 Guests and 113 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.