Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#95362 - 05/23/07 01:46 PM Melting Duct tape?
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I store a roll of duct tape in my truck as part of my kit and I'm finding that the glue in it melts after a summer and makes a big mess. Anyone else have that issue?
I bought the name brand Duck tape.
I'm thinking of replacing with the aluminum stuff so maybe it can withstand a higher temp, but it tears easily and doesn't flex say if I would repair a tent or tarp.

#95386 - 05/23/07 08:06 PM Re: Melting Duct tape? [Re: Eugene]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

In spite of my name, I'm not a big fan of the duck brand duct tape. There are many better choices out there, my favorites are Gorilla tape, Military "100mph tape"", and gaffers tape.

Gorilla tape is relatively new, so I still don't have much experience with it. I can tell it's stronger and stickier than regular duct tape, and I've carried a roll in my car for about a year with no problems, at temps over 100 degrees. Right now it's the tape I choose to carry. Cost is about $10 a roll

Gaffers tape is very similar to cloth based duct tape, but the adhesive is different. It was meant for production sets, to tape lights and stuff to walls without peeling the paint or leaving residue. However, it will leave a residue if left on long enough. It holds up to heat pretty well without melting the adhesive. It's very nice stuff, the only disadvantage is it's expensive at $20 a roll.

Military duct tape (100 mph tape) is somewhat simlar to regular utility duct tape, but the one I used was thinner, yet stronger, and didn't tear very easily (I would have to start the cut with a knife before I could rip it). The adhesive is very strong, and I've used it on an exterior car repair that lasted for 5-6 years. The plastic backing will delaminate from the adhesive before the tape fails, which can be a good or bad thing. The only problem is it seems that any company with an olive drab duct tape is calling it military duct tape, even though it's just regular duct tape. I remember it cost me about $15 for 2 rolls.

The aluminum stuff might hold up to the heat, but it's not very useful. There are high temperature duct tapes, but i've not really noticed a big difference with those

#95388 - 05/23/07 08:09 PM Re: Melting Duct tape? [Re: Eugene]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I store a roll of duct tape in my truck as part of my kit and I'm finding that the glue in it melts after a summer and makes a big mess. Anyone else have that issue?

Get Gaffers tape. The glue does not melt. It is designed for high temperatures. You can get some here: Survival and Outdoor Safety

#95409 - 05/23/07 11:05 PM Re: Melting Duct tape? [Re: Eugene]
GameOver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
Yes, I have the same problem. The roll was next to the repair manual in my tool bag, the entire side of the roll adhered to the cover of the book. I will be trying Gaffers tape to see if that works better, based on what craig said.

BTW, I also had a box of those "waterproof survival matches" stored in a small ziploc in my car. You know, the matches with the heads coated in wax. Just looked at the box after a year in the car. The entire box is encased in wax. Fortunately it was in a ziploc to keep the water out, ended up keeping the melted wax in. The box was so encased I could barely pry a match out, the striker was ruined. Who knew there was so much wax in a little box of matches?

#95418 - 05/24/07 12:33 AM Re: Melting Duct tape? [Re: GameOver]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
The tape i use is Nashua 357, but most of the $10 a roll and up tapes last much longer than the cheap tapes. But if it is in your car put it in a big zip lock because after a while it will still leave sticky goo behind, and i have tried numerous brands of duct tape and gaffers tapes.

#95439 - 05/24/07 02:44 AM Re: Melting Duct tape? [Re: Eugene]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Try the really dark, indoor/outdoor stuff from 3M. I've got some I rerolled last spring and left in my car over the summer- looks fine, sticks fine. Try Lowes or Home Depot, it's going to be around 8, 10 bucks IIRC. And it is a lot more useful than the Manco "Duck" stuff.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#95459 - 05/24/07 12:10 PM Re: Melting Duct tape? [Re: GameOver]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've had candles melt before so I knew it can get warmer than the wax melting point. My parents old cabin on the farm would melt candles if left inside in the summer.
That reminds me, I have tried several hardware and grocery stores and I can't find strike anywhere matches anymore. I guess I'm going to have to buy them overpriced in the sporting good stores.

#95461 - 05/24/07 12:29 PM Re: Melting Duct tape? [Re: Eugene]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I've also looked for strike-anywhere-matches last month in several stores and found NONE!!!!

#95463 - 05/24/07 01:13 PM Re: Melting Duct tape? [Re: wildman800]
ssbauer Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I've also looked for strike-anywhere-matches last month in several stores and found NONE!!!!

I found them recently (last month) at the local Kmart over by the smoking stuff.

#95464 - 05/24/07 01:22 PM Re: Melting Duct tape? [Re: wildman800]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What is the on the box of safety matches? Since I see a lot encase their matches in wax to keep them water resistant I thought of finding whatever is on the box of safety matches and mixing it with the wax then coat the heads and maybe they will light then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 540 Guests and 77 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.