The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#9502 - 10/01/02 12:35 AM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
myopiks,<br><br>Check out this tread where aluminum capsules and iodine tablets were discussed. Flame on<br><br>I have been meaning to try the experiment with Potable Aqua and these aluminum capsules, (outside somewhere very safe), but have not done it. The iodine/aluminum firestarting methods are generally done with aluminum filings and elemental iodine. I think the iodine vapor coming off the tablets and the anodized aluminum capsule would be less violently reactive, but would still probably corrode (at best) the capsule....but hey I am an analytical chemist, not a inorganic chemist .

#9503 - 10/01/02 12:45 AM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

You too? I found those same vials at Galyan's and some unseen force compelled me to buy one, since they came in groovy anodized aluminum colors. Wasn't sure what it would be useful for, but it had to be good for something! I would be concerned, however, that the iodine would react with the aluminum, so I discounted it as an iodine container.

#9504 - 10/01/02 12:55 AM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Donaldferman,<br><br>If you are using small glass vials with teflon lined lids to repackage, look carefully at the teflon seal and see if it is slightly offcenter. I have used these type of vials thousands of times for lab samples and every once and a while the teflon liner is just slightly too small or offcenter in the cap, causing leakage. The second common problem is a very small chip in the vial rim which will either prevent sealing or even slightly cut the teflon seal when you screw the cap down. The third common problem I have had with new people in the lab was them tightening the vial caps too tight...this generally caused the thick teflon faced rubber seal to shift or pucker and then leak.<br><br>Inspection of the leaking vial may give you some clues to why it leaked.<br><br>I generally carry a full-unopened container of Potable Aqua in my vest rather than carry a small potential corrosive leaker vial in my PSK. I am constantly into my vest pouch for various items and essentially inspect this bottle weekly. <br><br>

#9505 - 10/01/02 12:59 PM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's a good idea to go directly to the manufacturer and suggest smaller packaging. I can see the problem with the labelling requirements, but I am not buying their reasoning completely. I don't think they really want to address the problem (maybe because they have very little competition and they don't have to). <br><br>They could use the smaller bottle and have a large label that trails off the side of the bottle like a tag. If the end user chose to keep the tag on or remove it, who's to know? Also, the pharmaceutical manufacturers have extensive labelling requirements that they often meet by providing a printed insert inside the box along with the bottle of pills.<br><br>Too bad they are not interested in pursuing those kinds of options.

#9506 - 10/01/02 04:52 PM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
Anonymous
Unregistered

Castaway, the discussion I had been having was with the regulatory coordinator, I haven't spoken with the marketing coordinator yet. I'll let you know what he says.

#9507 - 10/02/02 01:08 AM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
I purchased a few of them to use for emergency supplies of some medication I need to take daily. I am interested in finding out about any possible reactions between the pills and the aluminum container. Does anybody know a good source to find this out (Physician's Desk Reference perhaps?). Chemistry wasn't my strong subject in school so something simple like "generally avoid items containing X substances when using aluminum containers" would help. I've avoided listing my medicine to keep this as general as possible.

#9508 - 10/02/02 03:02 AM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

I do not know specifically of any sources of information concerning medication/aluminum interactions.<br><br>My best guess is that these aluminum capsules from Bison are not the best storage for medications of any type. Some medications like Aspirin are acidic and bare aluminum and acid will corrode. Anodized aluminum is much more resistant to corrosion but still probably not the best. Many medications degrade with both heat and moisture. I have not tested my Bison capsule for waterproofness (fairly sure this is not a word). <br><br>I carry my medications in a stainless steel pill fob that is 12 x 60 mm. It fits aspirin and my other tablets perfectly. I trust it more than the Bison capsule since the O-ring is internal rather than exposed, and stainless steel is much less prone to damage from acids. I have tested my stainless capsule by running it through the washing machine, the tablets were completely dry. I did not run it through the dryer though .<br><br>My container is <br><br><br>The Key Chain version, I bought mine at a luggage store for considerably more than this one.<br><br>Also available <br><br><br> Fatter ones or even this 2 compartment one.<br><br>I have not ordered from these sites, just using their pictures for examples.

Edited by Schwert (10/02/02 03:05 AM)

#9509 - 10/03/02 11:36 PM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
Anonymous
Unregistered

I, too, look forward to doing some testing about this issue. In the meantime, the link below will take you to a site that sells small high impact plastic watertight capsules that might work for iodine. They (and some other sites) also feature metal containers that are lined with plastic and ones that contain a small, sealed glass vial inside the metal container. <br><br>All possibilities.<br><br>http://www.911medalert.com/catalog.asp?action=showcat&id=54&page=4

#9510 - 10/04/02 02:56 AM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
Many thanks! I wondered about the process for making the bison capsules when one of the ones I purchased appeared to have residue inside it (perhaps left over from the manufacturing process). Stainless steel sounds like it might do the trick.<br><br>Stressing about needed medication can be very distracting. In my case, I no longer have a thyroid (bad news) but I also no longer have cancer (good news). From what I have found out, I could probably go 3 weeks or more without my medicine before I would croak but life would be really uncomfortable long before then. I'm not worried about a long term loss of supply but skipping a couple of days of medication does adversely affect me so I always try to keep some extra pills around (mainly for when I forget to take one). I'll spread some capsules around in my BOB and PSK as well as one on a key ring for every day use. Replenishing with fresh medicine will be no problem.<br><br>

#9511 - 10/04/02 01:37 PM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I have offered in the past a willingness to test for bactericidal effects after storage. Due to the labor involved, I would give a qualitative answer (yes or no) as to their ability to kill a hefty load of common water borne bacteria. Also, we use liquid tight plastic vials (generally polycarbonate or polypropylene, some snap cap, some screw down) for storing a variety of biological and chemical materials. While I don't want to take any from the lab, I often receive samples, I would be willing to send a few out (domestic US) to couple of people who may want to test run them for the group. When bought in bulk, they are generally .10 to .15 each. They also come in a longer size, which would be useful for storing a couple of sewing needles. Pete

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (miner), 510 Guests and 136 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.