Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9453 - 09/23/02 12:19 PM Windmill lighter not waterproof
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
This weekend on the river I knew that my boat will get flipped. I took with me my 110 lbs lab mix who is very nervous and shy and the possibility of things going wrong on the rapids were endless so as a precaution I separated all the gear that could possibly get damaged by the water and transferred it over to my girlfriends boat in watertight case. On me I had a life jacket, large Sebenza, wave, whistle, psk, strobe, Inova X-5 and windmill lighter.<br><br>Too my expectations boat wasn't flipped but it got seriously wet by my dog getting in and out. But my girl got stuck in the rapids between two rocks. For her being a first time in a 17 footer it was kind of scary so I tied my kayak down and run up the shore to her rescue. Up to the neck in the water I pushed her thru obviously getting all wet. I used Sebenza to cut old fishing lines and weed that got stuck to the rudder. Later on when I did assessment of my gear I realized that everything is fine except for Windmill lighter. This was kind of disappointing because I bought it for that specific reason. Also after 5 hour parts of Sebenza blade started showing mild rust (nothing few wipes with WD40 would fix). <br><br>I think that every part of my gear performed 110% except for the lighter. <br><br>Matt <br>

#9454 - 09/23/02 01:42 PM Re: Windmill lighter not waterproof
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've put mine through the wash a couple of times, and it came out filled with water each time, requiring it to be disassembled (tricky even indoors in good conditions) to dry out. That's extreme, but I agree, they aren't waterproof... as far as I can tell, the gasket is there for decoration.<br><br>I carry mine daily, but I have to admit that for the price I'm mostly disappointed in it. I was advised to look at Colibri instead before I bought it, but I believed the Windmill reputation and ignored the advice. If I lose the Windmill, I won't be buying another.<br><br>http://www.colibri.com/Colibri/Colibri_2/CX_Gear/cx_gear.html<br><br>http://www.colibri.com/Colibri/Colibri_2/CX_Gear/QTR_9440/qtr_9440.html<br>

#9455 - 09/24/02 12:23 AM Re: Windmill lighter not waterproof
Anonymous
Unregistered

Matt,<br><br>Do you have the original Windmill lighter, or the Delta model? I have the Delta, and it has survived numerous submersions during my canoe trips, and still works like a charm.<br><br>John McIntire

#9456 - 09/24/02 11:15 AM Re: Windmill lighter not waterproof
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
It's a delta model. It looks like it was very successful in keeping the water under the cap. Maybe the problem is with me swimming with the lighter in my pocket but I don't think it would matter.

#9457 - 09/24/02 02:47 PM Disposable electronic lighter
Anonymous
Unregistered

For a fraction of the cost you can get a disposable butane electronic lighter by Cricket or Bic that will light reliably after being submerged. Just shake the water out and press the button.

#9458 - 09/24/02 08:41 PM Re: Windmill lighter not waterproof
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the heads up, I surely won't rely on my Delta anymore. Yeah, gotta love those 79 cent Bics.<br><br>John McIntire

#9459 - 09/25/02 07:05 AM Re: Windmill lighter not waterproof
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,<br><br>I too, have a Windmill Delta, and you are quite right. The Windmill lighter is not WATERPROOF, nor does it make claims that it is. This is what they say and I quote: <br>"Water Resistant Rubber O-Ring Seals<br>Windmill Stormproof lights have five rubber O-ring seals to ensure water resistance and keep water out when the lighter cap is closed. "<br><br>Now, what this means is that it will still light in a storm ie. in rainy conditions. It is not like a watch which is WATERPROOF. The terms water resistant and water proof are totally different in meaning. These lighters are indeed water RESISTANT and not water PROOF. The same goes for watches. Scuba watches are waterproof to a specified depth. Some watches are only water resistant.<br><br>Unfortunately there is no lighter which is a Scuba Lighter...LOL. I do not believe they intended the Windmill lighters to be fully submerged in water for any length of time.<br><br>I still think it is a great tool if used the way it was intended.<br><br>Cheers.

#9460 - 09/25/02 07:41 AM Re: Windmill lighter not waterproof
Anonymous
Unregistered

thor,<br><br>some of the quantum's that presumed linked to earlier are water resistant to certain depths.<br><br>the cx10 to 12 meters http://www.colibri.com/Colibri/Colibri_2/CX_Gear/cx_gear.html<br><br>the seal to 3atm <br>http://www.colibri.com/Colibri/Colibri_2/Quantum/SST/sst.html<br><br>granted the manufacturer is probably exagerrating, but still...

#9461 - 09/25/02 10:20 AM Re: Windmill lighter not waterproof
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL, it just sounds funny when one talks about lighters and how deep they are water proof/resistant..HAHAHAHA. A few years ago the men in white coats would take us away...my, my how technology has changed.LOL<br><br>I have never submerged my Windmill Delta and I don't intend to. Let's hope I never have to...LOL

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.