Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#94042 - 05/08/07 05:23 PM Surviving riots?
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I may be spending some time in Paris due to work. While there I won't have a guide and will probably have to ride their trains/subways a lot. In light of current events, any tips on what to do if a riot breaks out around me? On the plus side, I'll probably be wearing steel-toed boots and Nomex clothing (required for job).

-Blast, somewhat paranoid

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#94044 - 05/08/07 05:42 PM Re: Surviving riots? [Re: Blast]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Blast,

Be mindful of the events and "emotional temperature" of what's going on around you.

If things start heating up, get the heck outta the way as fast as possible.

Yeah, they may be speaking french but an angry face and a clenched fist is universal.

Riots from what I've seen on TV, etc don't spontaneously spring up, there is an escalation of tensions and behavior.

From the riots I've seen on TV and the internet, there's too many actual or potential adversaries on a 360 degree front to effectively defend against, not to mention being collateral damage from indiscriminately launched rocks, beer bottles, poodles, teargas canisters, rubber bullets, etc.

I think it's best to bug out or find something as close to a fox (or gopher) hole to hide in until it is safe to bug out (or continue working).

Be careful, but have fun.

#94047 - 05/08/07 06:00 PM Re: Surviving riots? [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Try to avoid the pre-dominently muslim neighborhoods, that's where (as I understand it) the riots begin.

Funny you should make this posting;

6 muslims (one of them an American citizen) have been arrested for planning an attack on Ft. Dix, NJ and;

8 muslims have just been arrested for (at least attempting) procuring and disseminating weapons and explosives throughout the country to other muslims for the purpose of launching jihad in American streets.

It seems that they are conducting a great deal of training by playing paintball games.

As far as France goes, Nostradamus predicted a time of rioting would hit France but that in the end, France would survive.

Bon chance et au revoir, Monseur Blast!

#94049 - 05/08/07 06:11 PM Re: Surviving riots? [Re: Blast]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Stay out of crowds, or at least on the edge of the crowd. Always be aware of where your escape routes are, and have multiple escape routs. Don't get boxed in. Dress low key.

And if worst comes to worst, your from Texas, so . . .

REMEMBER THE ALAMO.

Safe travels.

#94052 - 05/08/07 06:17 PM Re: Surviving riots? [Re: Blast]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Keep up on the current events so you are aware of the differnt "flash points". Watch the news or check the internet.

Stay clear of any protests or gatherings.

Leave the city and enjoy the countyside on weekends.

Don't look too American and avoid attention.

Stay away from crowded tourist spots.

#94054 - 05/08/07 06:21 PM Re: Surviving riots? [Re: DesertFox]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Actually, my experience has been that if you are asked if you're an American, the best answer is "NO, I'm a Canadian" (nobody dislikes Canadians), from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. You work at a steel mill there (Soo Steel) and you're vacationing in France, tracking down your ancestral heritage.

If they think you're an American, then they have found the target that they are looking for. Also, Never wear white tennis shoes or sneakers, it marks you as an American.

#94060 - 05/08/07 06:54 PM Re: Surviving riots? [Re: Blast]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
I have traveled to Paris on several occassions and have never had a problem. Despite the general perception that the French people are rude I have found them to be very nice and helpful on many occassions both in and outside of Paris. I actually feel safer walking around Paris at night than I do walking around most cities in the US. I have frequently walked around Paris alone at 2AM with little apprehension compared to doing the same in LA, NYC, San Fran, Miami, etc. The police in Paris have always been very friendly towards me, actually more so after they knew I was an American. However, I still would not advertise that you are American.

I don't know if you have ever been to Paris before but if not the Metro system (subway) is very good in terms of alternate routes. You can literally get anywhere in the city via several different routes using the Metro so you can use it to avoid areas where there may be problems.

Likewise I would get a good street map of Paris and orient yourself with the monuments and the river. Between the monuments and the river it is very easy to stay oriented when walking the streets and navigate the city even in areas you may not be familiar with.

IMO The central city itself is actually much safer than the outskirts where the muslim housing projects are so if you have to travel outside of the city be extremely careful. The riots a few years ago when they were burning the busses and cars were mainly in the outskirts of Paris.

As I recall the last time I looked up the statutes, carrying just about any type of weapon (including knives) in Paris is a big no-no however you may want to consider improvised weapons such as a nicely sharpened pencil for a stabbing weapon or a good strong flashlight for an impact weapon both would seem to be easily explainable to the local police if need be.

#94061 - 05/08/07 07:18 PM Re: Surviving riots? [Re: Blast]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Riots!! , You're going to Paris which has the second highest 'Chicka chicka boom boom awoooo awooo hubba hubba shiver' density on the planet, just after Prague. Riots will be last thing on your mind! smile

Edited by bentirran (05/08/07 07:19 PM)

#94077 - 05/08/07 10:51 PM Re: Surviving riots? [Re: ]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Riots !?!? Nooooo..... just a few moody guys, trying to liven up their districts, by organising street games.
As for burning cars, temperatures dropped recently ....

#94079 - 05/08/07 10:57 PM Re: Surviving riots? [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I can't help you with info about Paris, but as far as riots in general go, there are two rules of thumb: Stay inside, or if outside get inside and stay there. The ability to beat feet rapidly could come in handy, those steel toes might just slow you down...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 408 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.