Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#92776 - 04/28/07 01:26 AM Any retail laptop protected vs. EMP?
mattnum Offline
Stranger

Loc: Albany, CA
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a commercially available laptop that is EMP protected?

thanks in advance.

Matt

#92783 - 04/28/07 02:36 AM Re: Any retail laptop protected vs. EMP? [Re: mattnum]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
All of them.

Pull out the battery, wrap the computer with about fifty pounds of sheet lead, put it in a faraday cage inside a safe inside another faraday cage, at the bottom of an old salt mine.

If you want on that is fully functional under all EM conditions that are not sufficent to destroy human life, might I recommend on of these with a quality stylus.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92786 - 04/28/07 02:46 AM Re: Any retail laptop protected vs. EMP? [Re: ironraven]
mattnum Offline
Stranger

Loc: Albany, CA
Thanks Ironraven,

That's funny, I am already prepared since I have that new fangled stylus and paper.

I think I probably should have read up on EMP prior to posing the question.

Matt

#92787 - 04/28/07 02:48 AM Re: Any retail laptop protected vs. EMP? [Re: mattnum]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Lookinto Panasonic tough book, that is what the police and military use.

#92799 - 04/28/07 06:06 AM Re: Any retail laptop protected vs. EMP? [Re: mattnum]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
All electronics have some degree of EMP proection. That said, here's some more:

1) The degree of protection varies in commercial stuff and is not as protected as military equipment.

2) Any nuke or EMP attack will be geared to produce a strong enough pulse to nullify military grade shielding.

3) It is like surviving a nuke attack, the farher away from the NUDET, the better your chances of survival are.

4) Being inside of buildings, a cave, etc, when the attack occurs will provide some additional shielding but generally speaking, if your equipment is within the Line of Sight of the attack, your equipment will probably be fried. The greater the altitude of the NUDET or EMP Bomb, the greater the range that the EMP will have on equipment from it's detonation position.

Summary: It's a crap shoot on whether your equipment will be affected or not,,,Good Luck!

#92824 - 04/28/07 04:21 PM Re: Any retail laptop protected vs. EMP? [Re: big_al]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Physically tough, mostly waterproof, but the construction is still largely transparent to EM. Panasonic never had a high EMF environment or EMP survival in mind, just physical abuse, and they've made that VERY clear on several occasions, despite what you might see in bad movies.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92857 - 04/28/07 10:45 PM Re: Any retail laptop protected vs. EMP? [Re: ironraven]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
But, will my wireless still work?

grin

#92872 - 04/29/07 01:48 AM Re: Any retail laptop protected vs. EMP? [Re: ki4buc]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

*takes the length of rubber hose out of my trunk*

#93157 - 05/01/07 04:07 PM Re: Any retail laptop protected vs. EMP? [Re: mattnum]
JimJr Offline

Loc: Central Mississippi
mattnum,

Please read my reply to "Are EMP's a big deal?"

here: url= http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=93154&page=1

Jim Jr.

#93686 - 05/04/07 11:55 PM Re: Any retail laptop protected vs. EMP? [Re: JimJr]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
If you REALLY want one, you will pay through the nose for it. I will tell you that, as of a couple of years ago, there were NO EMP protected laptops available.

The way that you protect something is to completely enclose it in metal or ITO (Indium-Tin-Oxide, clear for covering laptop screens).
Then you have to keep metal caps on every I/O port, or put big-ole beefy diodes on every line into or out of the computer.

Simply stated, it is expensive.

This company specialized in computers that are Tempest-hardened, and I know that they have some experience with EMP.

http://www.hetrasecure.com/

But don't call unless you are serious about purchasing something. I don't know prices, but I would expect to spend a few thousand above a similarly-priced commercial laptop.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 161 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.