Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9348 - 09/18/02 02:28 AM Altoids tin survival candle
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
<br> I was looking at survival candles over the internet recently and was considering ordering either the nuwick or the coghlan's and then I thought that these are round tubs and rather difficult to carry in the pocket, though no problem in a pouch I'm sure. <br> So I thought, what if there were candles in altoid type tins ? I proceeded to make one of these just for fun. <br> The following is what you will need:<br><br>1. 4 - 5 tea lights (burns 4 - 5 hours each) Also very cheap... like these <br><br><br>2. HD aluminium foil <br>3. Pot to boil water (and a stove of course)<br>4. empty altoids tin ( I'm not sure - if you leave some altoids dust inside, will you get a peppermint candle ? )<br>5. Aluminium tape ( not really necessary)<br><br>Directions<br>1. Place some aluminium tape over the openings at the side of the altoids tin where the hinge is. This is to allow you to pour more wax inside. If you want to omit this step, you have to be careful not to fill the tin too much with the melted wax.<br>2. Make a container from the HD Alu foil.<br>3. Put 2 tea candles inside.REMOVE from outer case 1st!<br>4. Bring a small amount of water to boil in a pot and put alu foil container inside.<br>5. Wait for wax to melt and take out the tea candle wicks with some tweezers.<br>6. Add more candles one at a time until you have a tub of liquid wax.<br>7. take the retrived wicks and place them in the altoids tin ( 2 - 3 wicks spread out.<br>8. Once you have the melted wax and are ready to fill the tin, place the tin in a hot water bath to warm it up.<br>9. Pour the wax in and adjust the wicks<br>10. Cool tin and contents in a tepid water bath.<br><br>Ta-da! Your own altoids tin survival candle ( I think 4 -5 tea candles each with a burn time of 4-5 hours each should give you roughly 18 - 20 hours depending on how many wicks you burn at once) Please correct me if I'm wrong ( I just don't have the time to test out the burn time) !<br><br>So there is your pocket sized survival candle (cum mini stove). The lid will help to protect the candle, you can squeeze a box of matches inside, and will help snuff out the flame. You might even be able to use the lid as a heat reflector (I haven't figured out how to do it yet... any ideas ?) <br><br>Each time after you burn off some wax you can always melt down some more tea lights and refill it! <br><br>Anyone else tried this before ?<br><br>

Edited by Trusbx (09/18/02 04:40 AM)

#9349 - 09/19/02 03:17 AM Re: Altoids tin survival candle
Anonymous
Unregistered

<br>That's a neat idea. I've done similar using an old tunafish can and rolled up cardboard spiraled around inside of it to act as the wick. I think they are commonly called hobo stoves or something like that. Anyway, it's cheap, and it's always fun to play with wax. <br><br>I use an old soup can in the water to melt the wax, probably a little easier to handle.<br>

#9350 - 09/18/04 02:50 PM Re: Altoids tin survival candle
Burncycle Offline
Addict

very interesting idea!

#9351 - 09/18/04 03:54 PM Re: Altoids tin survival candle
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I had a post about that when I did that in one of those mini candies tins. It works really well, but my one suggestion would be to use a relighting b-day candle wick as the wick. Also, if you polish the bottom of the lid it will direct light a bit better and you can use it kinda like a flashlight.

#9352 - 09/18/04 04:59 PM Re: Altoids tin survival candle
goon Offline

Pretty cool idea.

#9353 - 09/18/04 07:18 PM Re: Altoids tin survival candle
Anonymous
Unregistered

Or buy some long burn high temp melt candles and melt them into the tin.

No mess either.

Tea candle wax will melt all over the inside of the tin.

Good idea though!

Flip

#9354 - 09/18/04 08:16 PM Re: Altoids tin survival candle
paulr Offline
Addict

I don't understand what these candles are supposed to be good for. The warmth from such a small flame has to be insignificant, and if you want a light source, you're better off with an LED light.

#9355 - 09/18/04 08:29 PM Re: Altoids tin survival candle
Anonymous
Unregistered

A single candle can raise the temp of a shelter more in a small snow shelter up to 10 degrees. A candle can be used to warm your hands and a drink and offers a moral boost an led can't.

You are right though its not always practical to carry one.

Flip

#9356 - 09/18/04 09:39 PM Re: Altoids tin survival candle
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Candles have a few good uses:
1. They make it easier to light fires if you have bad tinder or few matches.

2. They can be used to create a small amount of heat in a shelter. (When used with a space blanket properly it can keep you pretty warm.)

3. Wax can be used to seal holes in water containers and such.

4. It can work as a light source without having to worry about batteries or if it was soaked as long as you have some way to light it.

5. Twine or string you made can be rubbed/coated in wax to help hold it together.

A candle has a lot of uses, even the psycological effect of having some form of fire on a cold wet night after being lost can be great.

#9357 - 09/20/04 05:19 AM Re: Altoids tin survival candle
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
i thought about the melting wax, thats why i suggested a small divider if possible. for up to 3 candles even if they are smaller, like some else said it (candles) can bring comfort to people in a certain way.

http://www.equipped.org/ubbthreads/showt...&fpart=

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 530 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.