The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#93487 - 05/03/07 05:00 PM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: NightHiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you want light check out the Gransfors Bruks Mini Hatchet The Mini has a thin 2 1/2" edge and mine weighs in at all of 11.5 oz w/o sheath. I'll take the GB mini over a 'hwak any day for use as a lightweight chopping tool.

#93498 - 05/03/07 06:02 PM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: camerono]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I have the Cold Steel "Trail Hawk". The shape of the head prevents it from being a good wood splitter. Get a hatchet that has a good wedge shape.

When you try to split wood with a Tomahawk the thin part of the blade goes in OK but when it get to the flared out part close to the handle the head just rolls out of the split. It does not have a wedge shape to keep the split going.

Better yet, just carry a good fixed blade knife. Works great for most things!

#93509 - 05/03/07 06:41 PM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
A short handled axe/hatchet is inherently dangerous.

You said it. I'm pretty hand with a full-sized axe, if I do say so myself, but I've came within millimeters of losing a toe or a finger to a hatchet more times than I like to admit. I think I'd go with something like the "Hudson Bay" axe - a light head, but a 17" to 20" handle for control.

#93528 - 05/03/07 08:53 PM Re: Please recommend a Tomahawk [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
. . .A short handled axe/hatchet is inherently dangerous. . . .
I don't see a short handled axe or hatchet being inherently dangerous. Where does this idea come from? Mors Kochanski? If they were inherently dangerous I'd have damaged myself years ago. Maybe it's the user of the hatchet that is inherently dangerous and not the inanimate object.

#93532 - 05/03/07 09:27 PM Re: Please recommend a Tomahawk [Re: Russ]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: RAS
. . .A short handled axe/hatchet is inherently dangerous. . . .
I don't see a short handled axe or hatchet being inherently dangerous. Where does this idea come from? Mors Kochanski? If they were inherently dangerous I'd have damaged myself years ago. Maybe it's the user of the hatchet that is inherently dangerous and not the inanimate object.

Yeah, I have used small, packable hatchets for a few decades, and thank the Lord, somehow I have retained all of my fingers and toes grin (Maybe just better to be lucky than good, I don't know)

I think sometimes they are considered more dangerous because people try to use them to do things that they really need a full size axe, or saw, or maul, or whatever to accomplish. They use more force than they should, and something bad happens. That can happen with a lot of tools. People try to use knives to do things that really require a more substantial tool, and they get hurt doing that too.

- Ron

#93570 - 05/04/07 01:25 AM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: camerono]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Well, for sure it depends on what you want it for!

As others have written, a 'hawk is not a hatchet. Tomahawks are first a hand-to-hand weapon and second have some some limited chopping capabilities (best on small diameter stuff that you can chop with one or two blows against a log). I've never used one for butchering so cannot comment other than to say that chopping bone is hard on thin edges (I don't butcher that way any more). I suppose that some designs could be slipped off the handle and used as a skinner (think ulu), but am just guessing. I've used both CS 'hawks and hand-forged ones but choose not to own any. They can be fun to play around with.

If wood is on the menu and the trip is not too arduous, I like a hatchet. Gerber/Fiskars is cheap and works well. GF and Wetterling are better quality but cost more. A "boys axe" is even better than a hatchet and weighs little more (I prefer double bitted). Don't discount brands like Plumb - they're good hatchets/axes with better steel than Fiskar/Gerber. A point for any of these is to carry good edge protection on the blade and keep them sharp - dull hatchets are miserable. I currently carry a Gerber hatchet if it is appropriate. The steel is a little soft IMHO, but otherwise I like it OK. Maybe Santa will bring me a GF or Wetterling.

For tougher/longer trips, a decent fixed blade knife is what I carry. I have also found a machette very very useful many times, but am less likely to routinely build fires anymore on backpacking trips (LNT is making more and more sense to me).

A really good kuhkri can cover about everything but throwing ('hawk) and splitting difficult wood (hatchet/axe). The really good ones are at least as heavy as a hatchet, though. The CS LTC, while not a true kuhkri, has proven extremely versatile in our trips and I now prefer it over a machete or corn knife.

As for digging, I have many times in the past carried a US military tri-fold entrenching tool. The knock-offs are not as good as the real item. It remains the best capable light-weight digging tool available. Handles light duty chopping OK but not great. The CS "Spetznatz" shovel might be more appropriate for your tastes, though. Wooden handle, better choppers than 'hawks (sharpen one edge specifically for that), and boy, are they easy to learn to throw! We have two and they are useful for some things. Not great at splitting wood, though, because of the curve or belly. Digs well; not as easily as tri-fold only because of handle (D handle superior on shorties). Much scarier weapon than a 'hawk after fooling around with both - your opinion may vary, but this is the one to bring to a shovel fight. Get an extra handle if you are going to practice a lot of throwing (or carry a meter of duct tape).

I usually carry a U-dig-it all the time these days - sort of a folding handle stainless steel gardening trowel. Besides field sanitation, it handles a few other odd chores - none of which involve cutting, chopping or combat.

Is the Woodsman's Pal sort of what you are looking for? They are being made again. I have very limited experience with them a long time ago and don't trust my recollections.

HTH,

regards,

Tom

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 262 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.