stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
Check This Out:

289+ gallons
cover with rope ties
drain plug
The box it is stored in is compact for easy home storage

All for less than $30

This would be a great standby long term water prep item. Could be used for non-drinking water, and if push came to shove, I would probably drink from it. Think I might pick up one or two for my SIP plans.

I have also seen vinyl pop-in-place kiddie pools at walmart that hold something like 450 gallons for $15. Might also be used in a pinch. Same concept less the cover, drain plug and other features.

Thoughts?

#93203 - 05/01/07 09:06 PM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: stealthedc]
stealthedc Offline

Just realized I should not have started a new thread on water storage since there was already one on the main page, though this is somewhat of a different angle. sorry mods.

Soul of this thread:

Got any dirt-cheap high-capacity water storage options?

#93220 - 05/01/07 11:51 PM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: stealthedc]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Not as cheap (per gallon) as your idea, but I thought this was a pretty clever idea

http://cgi.ebay.com/Emergency-Disaster-Preparation-kit-Water-Storage-%20mre_W0QQitemZ230092537998QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3204QQ%3Cbr%20/%3EssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Takes the filling the bathtub idea to the next step, because this keeps it clean enough to drink, and you don't have to worry about your drain plug leaking. The only downside to this is they're not really for long term storage, unless you happen to have a spare bathtub in the house. It's more for a quick backup if you have some advance notice of a possible emergency, like a hurricane or ice storm or something.

#93232 - 05/02/07 01:26 AM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: ducktapeguy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oh, very slick.

Now I need to get an apartment with a bathtub rather than just a shower stall. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#93241 - 05/02/07 02:10 AM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: stealthedc]
stealthedc Offline

I like the bathtub bag invention becaue it is mucho agua inside the house and for the most part out of sight of prying eyes.

The pool in conjunction with the tub bag thing could be like a one-two punch. 100 gallons inside ready to go - 300 gal outside and ready for rain collection too.

nice

#93286 - 05/02/07 05:20 AM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Now I need to get an apartment with a bathtub rather than just a shower stall."

Ironraven, you need to think outside the box... so to speak. Get a cheap coffin, put the bag in it, attach the hose, fill it up, and put a big doily on top. No one will ever notice. grin

Sue

#93288 - 05/02/07 05:49 AM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: Susan]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I never would have thought there would be an appropriate situation to post this link, but I guess there is. Looks like someone already came up with that idea.

http://www.casketfurniture.com/casket_furniture.php

It sounds weird, but I actually kinda like the Vlada display case

#93335 - 05/02/07 02:49 PM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: ducktapeguy]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Kinda pricey, but cool!!!

#99656 - 07/11/07 11:02 PM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: stealthedc]
hilary155 Offline
Stranger

I question the use of plastics and other materials to store drinking water when they were not designed for it. I would check into what specific chemical plastic that pool is made from and see what if any chemicals are leached out over time.

#99693 - 07/12/07 01:26 PM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: stealthedc]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I was pondering my own cheap water supply, and I have a rather nice advantage.

I have this in my back yard, spring fed, year-round:

That's about 127,170 gallons of water, and it's very much able to be processed quickly and easily into drinking water. I know, because I've done it. It tests fine for all of the bad stuff.

In the house, I have a 75 gallon hot water heater and a 50 gallon cold water tank that are always full, since that's my domestic water supply.

I'm fed by a well 400' deep, according to the well driller, the water starts at 40' down and just keeps on going. I can and have pumped 10 gallons a minute from the well for 24 hours straight (this was during a draw-down test).

Yay rural living!

#99757 - 07/12/07 09:28 PM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: MartinFocazio]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I like yours, Martin. Best plan I've seen for water storage to date.

Oh wait, it's the plan I grew up with to. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#99761 - 07/12/07 09:47 PM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: MartinFocazio]
Lasd02 Offline

Loc: Pasadena, Calif.

Hey Martin, will you adopt me? I don't eat much and I have my own BOB! grin

#99767 - 07/12/07 11:39 PM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: MartinFocazio]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Yay rural living!

I'll express my jealousy a little differently than the others: May a bear poop in your creek, a bird poop in your well, and your water tanks leak. Have a nice day! grin

#99769 - 07/12/07 11:59 PM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: MartinFocazio]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Spring fed... Sweet.
I'm jealous.

I wonder how long it will take for the creek that runs through my back yard to be damned up, further upstream, in the case of an emergency.

#99812 - 07/13/07 04:20 PM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: stealthedc]
Reloader_26D Offline
stranger

Loc: Alaska
Good Idea! Could also be used for a walk-through decontamination pool for HAZ-MAT.

#100120 - 07/18/07 05:42 PM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: OldBaldGuy]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
That is freakin awesome. I especially like the casket motorcycle trailer. Talk about style.

Of course, if you don't want to spend that much, there's no reason you can't build a wooden box, line it with foam insulation and put one of those bathtub bags in it. I have a big ugly chest I cover with a pad and piece of cloth and use as a bench, no one ever wonders what it is.

#101275 - 08/01/07 05:19 AM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: AROTC]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Folsom Lake, 15 minute walk.
American River comes out of Folsom Lake around 5-10 minute walk.

Folsom is filled by two separate rivers from the Sierra Nevada's smile

#103319 - 08/22/07 11:32 PM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: stealthedc]
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Yes, -a Thott on the Wal Mart Pools, -and I here Mean NOT to be Political, Objectionable, or etc. Just Informational, -on this Consumer and Preparedness of a matter.

And that is to Be Aware and Beware!, -of "Planned Obsolescence or something like it", -in Cheap, often Made in China, Products such as that. You *Don't* want to come to Find, all your therein Stored Water, -to have Leaked Out!

I'm reminded of such a Pool of a Neighbor's that I once observed. And the Country of Origin *was* that Country. No Surprise!, -given the Great Volume of Products which come from there. And that Leak *wasn't* as a result of a Puncture or something not the Manufacturer's Fault. So I'm Afraid that this Can and Does Happen!

#103332 - 08/23/07 01:38 AM Re: Super Cheap Water Storage [Re: ScottRezaLogan]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I don't know if this is exactly relevant, but ...

I have occasionally created temporary, inexpensive water storage using rolls of 8 mil vapour barrier plastic -- the heavy, semi-clear stuff used in building construction. I would dig a shallow trench about 4 feet wide, 10-12 inches deep, and pile up the dirt around the edge so I would get perhaps 18" of height. This would hold an amazing amount of water (for gardening, usually, but could flush toilets or be boiled to drink). Using eavestrough runoff, it would grow algae pretty quickly; moreso because it had full sun. I put it in a place where I could empty it by gravity feed through a garden hose; I'd aim for shade in a "difficult situation."

Nice thing is, the polyethylene won't contaminate water like vinyl will.

I'd bet I could build the same thing in my basement with 2x6s and good angle brackets. Probably only one board high, though, and never on an upstairs floor. Water in volume is insanely heavy. Some sandbags to reinforce the sides would be wise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 266 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.