Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#93709 - 05/05/07 09:41 AM Re: Prep conflict [Re: gallihand]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
INCH kit = I'm Not Coming Home kit

Is this a new term? havent seen it before sick

The term can feed unexpected thoughts in the wrong mind. What if you have a non-prep wife and she thinks INCH means You are running away with another girl. The kit would contain a dozen condoms and wetwipes to remove lickstick. Oh, and a lengthy list of wife-proof execuses eek LOL

Seriously though. If the term BOB is there, why the need for more terminology ? People of average IQ like me barely can sort out all the existing ones.

Back to the original (prep conflict).

I think if you want to store a complete system ( BOB, or INCH ), we can only store them with someone we trust completely. However with partial kits, PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.-grade kits , city-boy-junk kit , lazy-boy-convenience kit ..etc. you should be able to easily find a place to store/hide them wherever you live or work.

#93711 - 05/05/07 10:31 AM Re: Prep conflict [Re: Chisel]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I think It's a good idea to make new acronyms on the forum. For example, some people have a PSK that fits in a altoids-tin while some people have a whole backpack that they call a PSK.

Discussing and agreeing how to call something is a good thing!

#93715 - 05/05/07 11:53 AM Re: Prep conflict [Re: JIM]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Depending on your lifestyle having multiple kits stashed around might be a good idea but you can't possibly plan for every contingency. No matter what a disaster is most likely to occur when least expected (old Murhpy strikes again), possibly at one location where you have no BOB at hand. That's why carrying a basic but versatile PSK on your person is so important.

#93723 - 05/05/07 02:19 PM Re: Prep conflict [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Geographic regions have potential disasters that are more likely than others. Here in SOCAL we have earthquakes and wildfires. Other regions have hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and serious winter storms depending on the time of year. Those can be planned for. Manmade events such as terrorist bombings are becoming something that should be considered; they've happened before and will likely occur again. Kits should take likely scenarios into account.

My ongoing kits are geared toward the big earthquake that may never come or could strike today -- you just don't know. The kit in my truck includes cold weather clothing in case there's a problem as I drive through a mountain pass. I've never seen weather in SOCAL that justifies a winter parka, but it definitely can get cold at the 4000 ft level.

Wildfires have lead time for me. Because of where I live there will be time to pack the truck with lots of stuff not normally included in a survival kit -- stuff that assumes the house will not survive. For the last big wildfire here I packed the truck and left it packed for a week. Fortunately, it didn't cross into this community. As it was I did wear a facemask from the kit to make breathing the smoke easier.

Different situations exist so different kit strategies are relevant. If I worked in a tower in a big city and drove to work I'd have a kit in the office designed to get me to my car/truck. In that case a pry-bar and headlamp might be primary tools to keep in the office. Everyone needs to evaluate the potential threats they live with and equip appropriately. It's a personal thing. You might consider terrorist bombings to be high on your list, but in reality there are other events to plan for that are real and (surprise) require the same gear. Start with never allowing your gas tank to approach "E".

#93762 - 05/06/07 01:55 AM Re: Prep conflict [Re: Chisel]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
"INCH" gets used a lot over on zombie hunters. Good core group, but a lot of their forum members need a visit from the clue fairy- a lot of them are planning on heading to the hills with 20 pounds of food, 8 pounds of water, and about 50 pounds of small arms ammo. *shudders*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#93834 - 05/06/07 08:33 PM Re: Prep conflict [Re: Chisel]
Ponce Offline

Loc: In the woods of Oregon.
Chiset? I like to say....."TO BE READY IS NOT"... Ponce, because no matter how well prepared you are there is always something else that you can or should do.

"To be ready is not"... Ponce

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 240 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.